Worlds most underrated PC games - post here..

Soldato
Planetside one.
Actual massive battles with tanks etc that required teamwork to be effective, giant maps and shifting battle line/points.

Nothing beats a galaxy drop to secure a CC or taking part in a massive 3 way battle with about 350 players.

One day they will make a planetside 3 that's closer to the original instead of pay to win and solo tanks and no jets on VS max suits/ no direct energy canon on the Magrider..

Caporegime
Planetside one.
Actual massive battles with tanks etc that required teamwork to be effective, giant maps and shifting battle line/points.

Nothing beats a galaxy drop to secure a CC or taking part in a massive 3 way battle with about 350 players.

One day they will make a planetside 3 that's closer to the original instead of pay to win and solo tanks and no jets on VS max suits/ no direct energy canon on the Magrider..

They should have made a star wars version back when PS1 was decent in 2003/2004, and people still cared about Star wars... 3rd faction being the "clankers" lol

Associate
I hope you guys are allowing really old games.. I'm cheating a bit, it wasn't really underrated was it? Infact I think most Bullfrog games did really well... I had one I couldn't get into, Gene Wars or something.

Magic Carpet

Shame there's been nothing like it since.. apart from that game on Steam which has been in development for like forever (Arcane Worlds).

Associate
Wargasm - This was a brilliant blend of rts/milsim before the days of Operation Flashpoint and Arma series. Such a shame that DID stopped developing for PC after Typhoon and Hostile Waters (Carrier Command clone).

Permabanned
Beyond Good & Evil

Never played it myself but it's commonly regarded as one of the most underrated games ever.

Other mentions.

Flat Out 2 - Everything Burnout should have been
Rise of Nations - Played the remastered edition recently, still really good.
Act of War - Maybe?
Perimeter - I didn't like this so much actually.

Sacrifice - again, epic. But, I can remember it being advertised and regarded highly at the time.

It was highly praised by the few that played it as I remember being a bit annoyed I couldn't get on with it.

Edit - Just checked out MOO2. Oh my word, 1996!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Difficult to call really, the most underrated games are probably ones nobody has heard of. Same goes for all under/overrated <thing> threads, you can never get away from the debates about how "that can't be underrated, because people think it's good" or "that can't be overrated, because it's amazing".

I'll go perhaps with some on the better known end of the spectrum:

-Freespace 2 - for some reason Freelancer gets more attention, but the combat, story and control mechanism are vastly superior in FS2. Maybe a bit of a stretch to call it underrated, but in comparison to Freelancer, definitely.
-Deus Ex: The Invisible War - got a bad rep because it was dumbed down and not as good as Deus Ex. I had the fortune to play this before I played Deus Ex, so I could judge it on merit, rather than constantly comparing it to one of the best games ever.
-Chaser - has a lot of flaws but it also has good combat, a developed storyline and lots of levels. Hardly anyone seems to know about it, some thing it's rubbish (which is why I have it as underrated) but as generic shooters go, it ticks the boxes
-Bulletstorm - doesn't take itself too seriously, I like the game mechanic that rewards fancy kills rather than just chasing arbitrary "achievements"
-Medal of Honour (2010) - brilliant set pieces, reminds me of a modern day CoD.
-Tribes Vengeance - for the 3d combat mechanics, some shooters have "flying sections" but they actually managed to base a whole game pretty much around jetpacks
-Homefront - quite short but a like squad shooters with AI teammates, it also builds quite an atmosphere. I don't think I'll ever forget the bus ride into the city at the start, the scene where a toddler witnesses his parents execution.... :eek: Almost made me sick,I'm surprised that didn't get banned. I've played games since the 80s and I'd say that's the single most harrowing scene I've seen in gaming, makes Spec Ops: The Line looks like Cbeebies.

Singularity I don't think is underrated per se - most people that comment on it seem to be positive. I'd say it's more a good game that never got much publicity.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d love a remaster or re-release of Freespace 1/2, the size of some of the ships and fights was just brilliant. I seem to recall there being a ongoing support/mod community so perhaps I should check that out.

Associate
Good shout on No one Lives Forever 1 & 2. Utterly brilliant from top to bottom - it's an absolute crime that the series has been allowed to vanish into legal limbo.

Back
Top Bottom