Worlds most underrated PC games - post here..

Soldato
Hard reset.

Just a fun old school style shooter with modern graphics. Seems they have done a remake called Hard reset Redux which I didn't know about either

Man of Honour
Sid Meier's sim golf from the early 00's - cracking fun.

Oof reminds me of another game sadly I can't remember the name of, was pretty obscure. Was a full 3D golf game with course designer and golf carts - as a golf game it was trash so ended up being given away on a PC mag cover CD.

Surprisingly it had quite good physics for the carts - I found it was quite easy to mod it to change the visual model and performance characteristics - so you could turn it into racing game of sorts with your own crazy tracks.

(Would have been about 1998 as I remember the Voodoo 2 had just released).

Soldato
No one lives forever 1 and 2. Brilliant fun, and had the best npc dialogue ever. The guards talking about the goat...

Project IGI 2. Ridiculously difficult, but had bonkers weapons.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Brilliant multiplayer fun.

Soldato
Damn, good shout, I'd forgotten about it!

Multiplayer was absolutely hilarious, it used to be a staple at my LANparties...

Ditto, used to love this multiplayer, pretty well balanced considering how different the 3 factions were. The single player campaigns were great too, especially for the engineers (?) lots of tongue in cheek humour, might pick it up on GOG actually :)

My vote goes for Neocron, a post apocalyptic MMO with complex crafting systems, deep skill trees, multi-faction politics, driveable vehicles actual skill based combat, non-consensual PVP and clan warfare with map/outpost control. What's not to like? Sadly, the engine was a bit janky, and marketing budget was pretty much non-existent, meaning subscriber numbers dropped off, and the (great) community gradually disappeared and there was no investment in the game (until "2.0" which changed a lot of what was good about the game and essentially killed it) :(

Man of Honour
My vote goes for Neocron, a post apocalyptic MMO with complex crafting systems, deep skill trees, multi-faction politics, driveable vehicles actual skill based combat, non-consensual PVP and clan warfare with map/outpost control. What's not to like? Sadly, the engine was a bit janky, and marketing budget was pretty much non-existent, meaning subscriber numbers dropped off, and the (great) community gradually disappeared and there was no investment in the game (until "2.0" which changed a lot of what was good about the game and essentially killed it)

A game I really really wanted to like and get into but the way the game played was just too "janky" and some areas the tech just wasn't there at the time - definitely a game that deserved better.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Freelancer, absolutely love that game to death, the scope, the combat. I'd kill for a remaster!

Good shout. I haven't played that in a long while. There's an unofficial patch that adds widescreen support and a few other features too. I know what I'm doing this weekend! :)

I still have Freelancer installed :) I should probably re-play the story sometime.

Grand Prix Legends & Nascar Legends. Both produced by Papyrus/Sierra. Both are brilliant sims, GPL was especially demanding on systems back in 1998, wasn't helped that the default car setting was nobbled, so it made it very hard. I tried it not so long ago and its bloody hard, 1967 Monaco with the kerbs and lamp posts.

NASCAR Legends is my favourite of the pre-NASCAR 4 lineage. Though between track edits, the GN70 mod and the physics editor you can turn NASCAR Racing 2003 season into a fair-to-middling classic NASCAR sim.

GPL...been driving it since the demo that came with the September (I think?) '98 issue of PC Gamer that previewed it. Bought it as soon as it was released - was a hell of a shock coming from the MicroProse Grand Prix sims and even the Papy NASCAR sims at that point! I've almost mastered the Ferrari these days, and I do okay with the other '67 cars except the Brabham (just don't get on with it) and the Lotus (I'm not nearly good enough to drive it!). As for the mods, hurling the '65 cars around Spa where you're spending nearly the whole lap with the throttle wide open is absolutely joyous. Those '65 cars with the skinnier tyres and smaller engines drive really well in the GPL engine IMO.

Soldato
-Medal of Honour (2010) - brilliant set pieces, reminds me of a modern day CoD.

Ha!

I actually also really enjoyed this, AND the multiplayer. I think people wanted it to play like BF, but actually the MP played more like Red Orchestra, was slower paced, more tactical and brutally unforgiving. For that reason I think a lot of people gave up on it, but I had an absolute blast on MP.

Associate
I still have Freelancer installed :) I should probably re-play the story sometime.

NASCAR Legends is my favourite of the pre-NASCAR 4 lineage. Though between track edits, the GN70 mod and the physics editor you can turn NASCAR Racing 2003 season into a fair-to-middling classic NASCAR sim.

GPL...been driving it since the demo that came with the September (I think?) '98 issue of PC Gamer that previewed it. Bought it as soon as it was released - was a hell of a shock coming from the MicroProse Grand Prix sims and even the Papy NASCAR sims at that point! I've almost mastered the Ferrari these days, and I do okay with the other '67 cars except the Brabham (just don't get on with it) and the Lotus (I'm not nearly good enough to drive it!). As for the mods, hurling the '65 cars around Spa where you're spending nearly the whole lap with the throttle wide open is absolutely joyous. Those '65 cars with the skinnier tyres and smaller engines drive really well in the GPL engine IMO.

Describes my experience of GPL!

Installed PC Gamer Demo and bought the game on day 1 back in '98 (what a year) Half Life, Colin McRae and GTA. Grand Prix 2 and NASCAR were considered hard core - then GPL came along. I think Jackie Stewart once quoted that GPL was 'too hard' from a realism perspective.

GPL brought my MMX 233 to its knees. Proper slide show, so solitary practice sessions it was for 2+ years! :D

I really enjoy NASCAR/Indy sims and whilst oval racing gets a lot of stick, its like chess, all about planning ahead - I really enjoy but its an acquired taste, so much so NASCAR Legends was never released in Europe. I purchased my copy from the states 20 years later. Apologies for digressing!

Soldato
Best multiplayer game hands down, countless hrs spent on Jolt servers. No level crap, just really good simple objective based gameplay.

I would pre order this in a heartbeat.

I spent a lot of time playing wolfenstein enemy territory.

The mortar was the most effective area of effect weapon I've seen in a game- as long as you had a tame Lieutenant to feed you ammo.

Soldato
SOLASTA Crown of the Magister, come out of early access but seems a relatively small fish. There are some issues and bugs being a small studio and in game faces look like they are made from mash potato, however, game is a blast if you like PoE, DOS, tyranny, Kingmaker etc types of games and really scratching that itch.

Be interesting to see where the devs go.

Back
Top Bottom