Worst car you've ever driven

Soldato
Right, I borrowed my dads car today, a 51 plate renault laguna expression 16v, I've got to say I've never driven anything more painful. It's a horrible bag of hatred, I was going down to bristol and needed something larger than my golf as I had 4 lads in the car with me, on the M4 it sounded like it was going to explode, it took forever to get up to 70 (literally about 25-30 seconds) and once it was there it wouldn't go much further. Had it up to 85 at one point it felt like it was going lose traction and flip over or something, the ride was bone shaking, round town the cornering was shamefull. Steering had no feel to it either, way too light.

I'm sickened by how horrible it was to drive for the period of time i had to drive it of.
Seriously I've got to wonder, what the hell was renault thinking when they put a 1.6 engine it it, I've driven faster vans.

Had to rant to the internet about it.
What about you guys, have you ever driven something so horrible it made you angry?

Caporegime
Associate
I was going to say an old rusty 306 DTurbo but the actual worst car was an at the time brand new Corsa C 1.0. Terrible all or nothing brakes, no steering feedback, harsh ride and it needed bouncing off the limiter to do a hill start.

Thankfully it was just a courtesy car i had for 2 days

Don
Renault Megane Scenic 1.6 05 plate (I think).

Awful car, the complete lack of acceleration was positively dangerous when overtaking (if you were brave enough). Ride was like being in a dingy in a storm it rolled about so much and the seats gave you next to know support.

So bad we complained to our company as it was the standard rental at the time.

Associate
Peugeot 307 HDI (1.6 diesel 'sport')

Almost 3 years old and 60k miles. Driving position is terrible, gearbox is terrible, handling is terrible, engine is terrible, build quality is terrible.

Hateful piece of Frence tat.

Soldato
A 1.8 Vectra 'C'. I had a Mk2 Mondeo at the time and this was a loan car whilst the Mondeo was in for some work.... despite being a much newer car I just really didn't like it. It should have been similarly fast (or slow!) as the 2.0 Mondeo I had but just felt totally gutless.

Soldato
I haven't driven many cars but the worse one from the ones I've driven was my learner car, Mazda 323 diesel, soooooo terrible going over paved streets everything shakes & rattles, my instructor even told me to drive faster as I drove slower in it due to all the shaking when I drove on paved roads. Also the 5th gear acceleration was appalling, no feedback to the throttle at all. Terrible noisy engine too that caused something in the dash to resonate around 2k RPM...

Worst car I've been ( a passenger) in ? Probably a Polish Fiat 126p... The thing couldn't even reach 100kph ( 60 mph) and shaked as if it was going to blow up every second above 70 kph ( above 42 mph).

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
peugeot 207 1.4 HDi

shockingly cheap materials, and unbelievably overassisted. gently pressing the brakes would perform an emergency stop, and the steering was so light and overassisted i almost crashed pulling out of a side road :/

Caporegime
daewoo matiz

gearshift felt like it was attached to a suet pudding. all horrible and wallowy.

And it really did feel like the pedals werent attaching to anything.

By far the most hatefull car ive ever driven, and thats including Corsa Cs and even a Kia Picanto.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Renault Megane Scenic 1.6 05 plate (I think).

Awful car, the complete lack of acceleration was positively dangerous when overtaking (if you were brave enough). Ride was like being in a dingy in a storm it rolled about so much and the seats gave you next to know support.

So bad we complained to our company as it was the standard rental at the time.

I have been driving around in my Mum's 05 Megane Sport Tourer (1.5 DCI) and I found it quite a competant mile muncher. Been getting 66ish mpg out of it, and thats through towns, A-roads and motorway driving.

Sure its not rapid, but its not horrifically slow, and its very comfy to drive long distances.

Handling is not amazing, but it was not scary to drive quickly on B roads!

Associate
Honda Hybrid, Was told it was a 1.4 but it would feel as rapid as my 2.2 Accord by the salesman HAAAaa!

The interior was just, grey, lots of grey. The engine was disgraceful and god knows how its meant to be 'green' when you have to rape every last RPM out of it to get it to move. Dreadful dreadful thing.

Salesman gave me a weird/surprised look when I mentioned its the worst car I've ever driven and Id much rather have my old Rover 200 over that.

Associate
Not driven all that many cars:

1.4 Fiesta diesel
Mazda RX-8 (231 version)
A3 2.0 TDI (140)
Z4 3.0i
Toyota Rav 4
Toyota Corolla (H reg)
Fiesta Zetec S
Corsa 1.2 (51 reg)

The worst, by a long shot, was my brother's old Corsa. Even the old Corolla was more fun to hammer.

Soldato
Probably a 1977 Ford Fiesta 1.1 L, no servo assistance on the brakes, no obvious suspension to speak of, seats that only slid backwards and forwards and were spring loaded, no other adjustments, oh christ it was something else.

Really any modern car is pretty 'ok' by comparison, even the most hateful piece of South East Asian tat. The brakes or lack of, on this thing were’ actually’ dangerous, it was very difficult to stop it. The steering had so much play you could drive along in a straight line and move the wheel by about half an inch either way without anything happening. I have no idea how it ever passed an MOT to be honest.

It was the first car that an old friend of mine had when we were 17 .... god awful thing. However, we had a hell of a lot of fun in it, some great adeventures :D ...I have fond memories of it, but in all honesty it has to be the worst car I have ever driven.

Back
Top Bottom