worth getting the airport?

Soldato
i have my bb coming into the house into the standard netgear router that sky supply...

would there be any advantages to getting the apple airport?

Soldato
Apart from "ease of use" (apparently), not a lot. I wouldnt bother.

Also, Sky lock the MAC address of your router to your ISP login so AirPort isnt gonna just plug in and work. Save yer money and health.

Soldato
OP
lol ok :) thanks for the advise :)

the usb port on the back caught my eye though, would be nice to remote access my printer without taking the laptop to it but i'm sure there are cheaper ways to do that...

Soldato
The airport only supports an ethernet WAN port anyway, so non-cable customers need an ADSL modem with an ethernet port. You could always disable the wireless etc on the Sky router and plug it into the airport.

Soldato
I might try that if my sky router bites the dust again.

Although I might switch ISP before then. Sky BB is pants. Particularly when it decides it doesnt like displaying web pages.

Aye, I had non displaying pages a lot just before i swapped to a proper router. :p

(As well as drop outs at night because the router couldn't hold on to the connections at a low SNR)

Soldato
Aye, I had non displaying pages a lot just before i swapped to a proper router. :p

(As well as drop outs at night because the router couldn't hold on to the connections at a low SNR)

As in you changed your router whilst still with SKY BB and it worked properly since? I'll be switching to them soon (thanks to AOL and their "faster speed" promise which hasn't come true for the past 2 years)

/off topic

Soldato
As in you changed your router whilst still with SKY BB and it worked properly since? I'll be switching to them soon (thanks to AOL and their "faster speed" promise which hasn't come true for the past 2 years)

/off topic

Yup, been 100% perfect. :)

Might be tempted to swap back over to OpenDNS soon too.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Speedtouch 546 v6 on the bay = win.

You can tweak the noise margin and force the BT exchange to give you your max speed. I went from 1000kbps to a 1750kbps sync profile.. Couple that with my airport extreme and I have a solid connection with excellent wifi range.

It helps to have a good ISP too.. I'm with ADSL24

Associate
I've got one i run this setup from my VM connection:

VM Modem --> PFSence Firewall --> Airport --> 2x bridged 1gbps to my desktop and my macbook on wireless N

I have DHCP controlled by the PF Sence FW,

Before the Airport i had a standard 4 port switch, i just plugged in the Airport, set it as a bridged NAP, put in a network password and name for the wireless and it was done, havn't touched it since :)

Soldato
Speedtouch 546 v6 on the bay = win.

[snip]

Nice. I was with BT, then was going to move to Be (but they took too long to enable my exchange) before choosing Sky. The major reason I went with Sky is that its dirt cheap. I suppose I pay for that with a flakey connection at times.

You pays your money you takes your choice. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom