1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worth putting AS5 on?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Mortah, 7 Jun 2006.

1. Mortah

Gangster

Hey guys,

Just put my new rig together... Its an X2 3800+ with an Arctic 64 Pro... I just put it on using the paste / tape thats already on the HSF (Can't remember whether it was paste or not :D)...
    I'm getting idle temps of around 37 and full load temps of 45 / 46 (Speedfan boosts my CPU fan to 100% instead of 50% when it goes over 45 and it stays very close to 45).

Question is: Would it be worth taking the HSF off, cleaning it and the CPU up and then reapplying but using AS5 (I have some kicking around).

Cheers!

2. hp7909

Mobster

Give the gunk time! All thermal compounds need time to 'settle-in', AS5 iteslf needs close to 200hrs :eek:

Also in SpeedFan, you can get the right config for your mobo. Shoulde be under Info tab then Get Config button :cool:

Last edited: 7 Jun 2006
  3. Mikebert4

Gangster

I wouldn't clean the stuff that came with the freezer64 pro off... give it a week or two to burn in and be amazed! :p

I had this HSF using both AS5 and the pre-applied stuff... the temperature difference wasn't detectable after a burn-in period, though the AS5 was better for the first 50 hours or so.

I ran both for 300-ish hours and checked temps in speedfan, somthing like 45'C load temps at 1.6v (on my 3000+). Tis a good HSF and the paste they gots on there (is it called HF5 or somthing?) is pretty damm good.

happy clocking!

4. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

I think the paste with the Artic Freezers is MX1, just as good as as5 in most reviews

5. Townlea

Wise Guy

Yep, the difference would probably be like 1C lol. MX1 is very good

6. Mortah

Gangster

It seems the Asus A8R-MVP isn't on their little list of motherboards :(

7. hp7909

Mobster

2 new maybe? Though, I did not like how Speedfan controlled my fans. As in it would start low then go up high & remain there, never coming down again :mad: Now, happily using the BIOS setting (for a A8V) :)

8. Mikebert4

Gangster

almost exactly! i wish I still had the Pic's to show it, but i've formatted about 20 times since then... :o

And as far as I know the 64 Pro fits all socket 939 MoBo's.. though I had a problem on my Old ASUS A8N-SLi with clearance from the first DIMM slot, solved by using the other two slots for my RAM :D