Worth upgrading from amd64 2800?

Associate
Would anybody be kind enough to offer any advice on possibly upgrading from my current rig of kv8 pro (skt 754), Amd64 2800 and 1gb (not dual) cheapish ram? Its pretty quick but still gets a bit chuggy, especially on the newer games.

I was thinking of maybe getting a 939 (non pci express)mobo, a better Amd cpu, the ocuk 2gb ram and a mobo which would take my 6800gt. The catch is I am restricted by budget (£100-200, and whatever I can get selling the old parts) so I'm just wondering if the performance gains are worth it (or not!).

Soldato
The 939 platform itself offers performance advantages over the 754 platform, plus the quicker CPU & it would be an improvement for sure.
Get the AMD 3200+, 3500+ or 3700+ (depending on funds) & the 2 gig of OcUK value ram. As for mobo you could get the Asrock dual AGP / PCIE mobo (£50 or so, but not sold at OcUK) - allows you to use the old AGP graphics you have & when want to can change to PCIE. If you wanted to buy from OcUK you could get tha Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 mobo, hich has an AGP slot.

Permabanned
easy Linwig, you get an asrock 939 SATA2 motheroboard for £46 which has the following features...

1) AGP and PCI-E sockets
2) AMD socket M2 support (no need to junk the board in a few months for the new amd format)
3) clocks quite well, i currently have my AMD A3000+ CPU which has a stock speed of 1.8GHz running at 2.4GHz 270fsb.
4) you may think its abudget board but its not... its kind of halfway between budget and mainstream, Asrock themselves are owned by ASUS, and the chipset on this board (ULI) is owned by Nvidia, so you do the maths :)

as for CPU...

AMD A3000+ (Vencie core) should be able to pick them up from Members Market (once you get access) for £70 ish second hand or you can buy them new from ocuk for (£98.64 Including VAT at 17.5%)

although personally i would stretch the budget and go for an Opteron 144 socket 939 £129.19 Including VAT. they clock well and the extra cache is a huge help...

as for ram, dont go nutts on it, if your on a budget go with geil value or corsair value, they wont clock that high so youl have to run them at a lower speed and clock the fsb up. but this is what i do and my performance is far far better because of it :)

Back
Top Bottom