• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth upgrading to 5800X3D over 3800X?

Associate
Hi all,

As the title explains I currently have a Ryzen 7 3800X, but I have been thinking about upgrading to a Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

I have seen a few benchmarks online between the 2 but I would like to know if anyone has had any personal experience with the same upgrade and if they found it worthwhile. I am not looking for a full platform upgrade personally as currently the AM4 platform serves me well enough, also I'm just plainly too lazy to.

I do mainly game on the system at 1440p but I edit the occasinal video also, I have a RTX 3080 if thats anything worth knowing alongside.

Cheers in advance to anyone who responds.

Soldato
It depends if you play the games it really benefits you will see a big upgrade. I went from a 3700X and was glad I upgraded.

Associate
I upgraded from a 3700x and am pleased with the results. Gaming in general is smoother and certain games really benefit.

You need to make sure you can cool it though, as it runs hotter than 3700x and 3800x. This can be helped by reducing voltages using PBO tuner.

Associate
everyone that upgraded are happy.
the ipc lift alone is worth it then the x3D on top for gamers is sensational.
Its the best cpu you can buy for that platform if you game

Man of Honour
If you plan on keeping the PC awhile then it's a good option to have, a CPU that rivals current high-end CPUs, but if you're planning on replacing everything in a year or two, then no, since there will likely be several generations of X3D on AM5 and they'll end up much better.

Soldato
I had a 3700x with a 3070ti and upgrading to a 5600x gave an uplift.
I then put that 5600x with a 6950xt and it bottlenecked hard.
I upgraded to a 5800X3D and now the bottleneck has gone. This was all at 1440p.

It was worthwhile for me, the game that gave the biggest increase was CODMW2

Associate
OP
Cheers all,

I do plan on the keeping the PC for a fair few more years. Im never normally one who upgrades each year or every other year, I play a big mix of games currently. I might have to see about getting one, I should be able to cool it since I have a NH-D15, I would atleast hope thats enough.

Back
Top Bottom