Worth upgrading to mac mini 2018? About to pull trigger, need your thoughts!

Soldato
OP
Just ordered my Mac mini’s 32GB memory upgrade also with recommended iFixIt screwdriver set (finding a TR6 security torx that doesn’t have stories of breaking.. not going to risk it).

Nice! I got 64gb now and surprised to find I'm regular hitting 55gb+ mem usage. Never heard any stories I just used my several year old screw driver set and worked fine.

Soldato
Nice! I got 64gb now and surprised to find I'm regular hitting 55gb+ mem usage. Never heard any stories I just used my several year old screw driver set and worked fine.

I would love 64GB but 32GB will do, most of my use will be tying AI/ML/QC in octave/python in VMs with some GPU based play (at the moment the shared GPU).

Soldato
All installed and working - the mini seems to operate faster (perhaps 8GB is a little too small for Mojave?).

Currently updating and then I have to see if it sorts out my blinking screen problem.. give it an hour with the monitor switched off it should be fine again.. but given this has something todo with syncing and waking.. i'm hoping this update helps.

Edit: Nope. I think the issue is more with the old NEC monitor than the mini or cable but still..

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Actually this is a good thread for this - there's a new LG Ultrafine 5K 27" monitor that's been released (after the last fault-riddled version was pulled). It's still ugly but at least provides Mac Mini owners with a viable alternative to the iMac 5K display.

The problem with the LG UltraFine monitors is the connections. They either connect via Thunderbolt 3 (supports up to 5K) or via USB-C (supports up to 4K). This is fine, unless you want to use an eGPU. No supported (AMD) GPU outputs via USB-C or TB3, unless you opt for the very expensive non-upgradeable Blackmagic eGPU.

There is a small ray of hope with the new AMD GPUs as they should come with USB-C at some point, then Apple may release a driver allowing for users to finally be able to buy a high end GPU and whatever enclosure they want to power their 4K UltraFine monitors.

Soldato
OP
You might enjoy this story of another Mac convert.

Exactly why iv changed.

Factually windows is now an horrendous content delivery system for 3rd party companies ramming software down your throat you don't want....how dare they use MY computer MY Internet bandwidth and MY electric to download and install **** like candy crush and god knows what else I don't want taking up MY hard drive space!

Since windows 10 release iv had to run several destroy windows 10 spying and unwanted software install and reg hacks just to get it to the Base windows system....even then it's not spot on.

Osx is just a good os and doesn't just randomly install stuff, doesn't key log and isn't trying to sell u stuff every 1 second, worth it.

Soldato
Managed to get it to thermally throttle :D

Playing World of Tanks for a decent amount of time with a warm room left the machine unable to play the loading screen (imagine small sinders of fire wafting across the screen) smoothly without regular short pauses. The game is predominately single threaded due to it's use of a wine wrapper - 100% on a single thread. Entire machine warm.

What is interesting is that the system doesn't speed up the fans.. so I think that is more general overheat rather than the CPU throttling. Just leaving it running and and cold the loading screen is smooth again.

Still impressed given the power in the size of box.

Soldato
OP
Anyone with an EGPU managed to get this working in windows 10 ok for gaming ? I haven't yet at all, mind you I only tried twice, been too busy otherwise - but it didn't go well when I tried, whole thing was terribly unstable and simply didn't work - vega 56 egpu in port 1, i couldnt install the gfx drivers as i couldnt get it to detect it on TB3 port, and it fails to boot when plugged in - just glitches out, latest windows 10 as well I tried.

I'll always use OSX for every day stuff without fail - but occasionally I might want to drop into windows for some KSP action.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone with an EGPU managed to get this working in windows 10 ok for gaming ? I haven't yet at all, mind you I only tried twice, been too busy otherwise - but it didn't go well when I tried, whole thing was terribly unstable and simply didn't work - vega 56 egpu in port 1, i couldnt install the gfx drivers as i couldnt get it to detect it on TB3 port, and it fails to boot when plugged in - just glitches out, latest windows 10 as well I tried.

I'll always use OSX for every day stuff without fail - but occasionally I might want to drop into windows for some KSP action.

I assume you've looked at this?

https://9to5mac.com/2018/12/20/how-...-into-a-capable-windows-gaming-machine-video/

Soldato
OP

Completely irrelevant to my problem with the machine for windows - it looks like he just flat installed windows 10 without boot camp?

I've boot camped windows 10 into a 50gb partition, however he seems to have had zero issues installing an egpu on windows 10 - my mac mini freaks out on booting with an egpu attached, and if i boot into windows using on board graphics and plug in my razer core with vega 56, windows simply doesn't see it, at all, it wont detect - zero issues in Mac OS however so I know its not a hardware issue - on his guide he writes 'step 3 install amd drivers' - great, if windows see's the egpu - but it doesnt on mine so when i tried installing the drivers it refused to install as it can't find any AMD hardware.

Also I downloaded the very latest windows 10, i don't know if that has issues that his older version of windows didn't - I currently don't really have time to sit and trouble shoot it properly, I need my mac mini on 24/7 doing work from mac os - however if someone comes up with a trouble shooting guide as to why my mini's freakin out in windows id love to see.

Soldato
Solved my blinking issue - £139.. Dell 24" monitor connected by HDMI instead. Seems ok, perhaps not as perfect as the old NEC sharpness but still acceptable (and it doesn't blink!). Added bonus is it uses 18W not 84W too. Edit: found the settings for game mode etc ignore the sharpness comments :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Solved my blinking issue - £139.. Dell 24" monitor connected by HDMI instead. Seems ok, perhaps not as perfect as the old NEC sharpness but still acceptable (and it doesn't blink!). Added bonus is it uses 18W not 84W too. Edit: found the settings for game mode etc ignore the sharpness comments :)

Glad solved, monitor issue then!

Back
Top Bottom