Worth upgrading?

Associate
Is it worth upgrading my rig before DX10? Im just curious because my current set up is really struggling these days (P4 3.0ghz, 1gb Ram, 9500pro).

I am currently thinking of putting in a new AGP gfx card - maybe a X1x00 series card for under £100 and then waiting to Vista, alternatively just holding off all together and buying a whole new get up.

Any thoughts?

Man of Honour
Welcome to the forums. DX10 is likely to take a while to get fully established I reckon, this is based on nothing more than a guess though.

With that in mind I'd be asking yourself what seems to be slow with your computer. I'd suggest it is most likely to be just your graphics card really letting you down so maybe consider going for a secondhand card like a 6800gt or X800series card, both should be available for £80 or under and would give you a fairly decent boost, certainly enough to play most games.

If however you feel the whole system is letting you down and you have a decent(ish) budget then for say £500 you could overhaul the main components.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply - i think you have confirmed my thoughts. Im going to try for a 2nd hand gfx card - ill look out for the ones you mentioned on e-bay.

Cheers

Associate
OP
I have just one quick question to go with this: I think my mobo supports up to only 4x AGP, if i buy say a X1600pro would these be compatible? Would not being 8x be a huge bane on my rig?

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
Spursboy said:
I have just one quick question to go with this: I think my mobo supports up to only 4x AGP, if i buy say a X1600pro would these be compatible? Would not being 8x be a huge bane on my rig?

I can't imagine that a motherboard that supports a P4 3ghz will use AGP 4x but even if it does it isn't a huge disadvantage, normally the difference between 4x and 8x AGP is between 5-10%.

I don't however know how good either of the cards are on AGP though, I'd suspect the X1600pro isn't as good as the 6800gt or X800XT but I can't confirm that just now. :)

Back
Top Bottom