Would 7900GT SLI Be Bottlenecked By My CPU?

Thx.

So would a single 7900GT be sufficient to get max settings in all games at 1280x1024 res? My 7800GT can't even handle Far Cry with these settings without severe slowdown at times. I suspect for games like FEAR and Oblivion a single 7900GT would not be sufficient.

Thanks for the recommendation but I have decided to get a single 7900GT for now. I have obtained one for around £220 including delivery and VAT. It seems they overclock extremely well and should perform not far below this ATI which is £100 more. If I want to upgrade further I shall get an additional 7900GT which will blitz the ATI model you have shown me.

If I had a Crossfire motherboard I might lean more towards the ATI cards, but the 7900GT seems to represent the best VFM to me atm, and I have an SLI mobo.

I'm still open to other opinions, and I have at least a week to change my mind whilst my supplier gets new stock.

For me it is fine usually but at certain points becomes very bad. Most noticable is when Cryovision is used; on some areas frame rates drop to less than 10ps. It scores normal marks for it in 3DMark so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

EDIT:

I have decided to go with the X1900XT. Wow - I didn't realise how good value they were here atm!

Can you tell me why to go for the one you mentioned though plz?

There is another one on sale for around £280:

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-060-PC)

I know it has a slightly lower stock speed, but will this effect its overclocking capabilities?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom