Would an iPad be easier or my Nan?

Associate
My Nan is thinking of getting broadband and a Laptop. She's never owned a computer before and would likely be to scared to use it. :D Do you guys think an iPad would be easier or her to use?

Possibly, but bear in mind the need for a PC with iTunes to set it up and to sync it for other reasons.

Might be worth finding out her interests and whether or not they are likely to take her to Flash reliant websites though.

Also depends whether she is likely to need to do stuff like typing much. I would definitely stick with a PC of some sort for that and most other content creation tasks.

Associate
Internet browsing, Facebook and keepin in contact to friends and family.

Might want to check if they already use something like Windows Live Messenger. Even Skype is a bit ropey as you are stuck with the iPhone version at present. If they already have a preferred messenger app, would they be willing to use a more iPad friendly one if required?

Obviously not a problem if you are just talking emails and Facebook.

Soldato
Would an iPad be easier or my Nan?

I suspect your Nan is more compatible with PC hardware and possible future Apple updates. Many Apple users find they cant use their old Macs with new Apple hardware but Nans are universally compatible. They can take a little longer to boot up in the mornings but generally work well with plenty of encouragement.

Soldato
You can get a dock that hold the ipad in a more upright position and has a full sized keyboard, can be handy for when they want to do some typing.

Associate
I suspect your Nan is more compatible with PC hardware and possible future Apple updates. Many Apple users find they cant use their old Macs with new Apple hardware but Nans are universally compatible. They can take a little longer to boot up in the mornings but generally work well with plenty of encouragement.

lol :D

HaX

HaX

Associate
How about buying her a cheap netbook or laptop, and putting something like Ubuntu or Mint Linux onto it?

Nice, secure and stable OS, and as she's starting from scratch, it won't be any more difficult for her getting used to Linux over Windows.

I've recently started using it, and have converted a few of my (non-techy) friends to it. Linux has really evolved over the past few years, both in terms of functionality and user interface.

It's an ideal OS for children or someone who is new to the internet, as it doesn't seem to be affected by the plethora of virii/adware/malware that plagues Windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the iPad would be a very good choice. If she's going to be intimidated by an iPad she'll be intimidated by anything on the market. iOS has the advantage of being very consistent which is what you need when somebody is trying to learn.

Back
Top Bottom