Would appreciate advice and a spec

Associate
Hi

My current PC is on its last legs for playing anything like the latest games (P4 2.26 and a ti4600, cease laughing now) and I am looking for a significant upgrade. My budget is about £1400 and needs to include XP SP2.

I won't be reusing any parts from my current PC, though I might add the HDD as a third drive to new machine if space permits.

I've been reading about Conroe and AMD2 and there certainly seem to be some significant performance improvements coming from Intel (just to be clear I don't actually care either way about Intel and AMD, I like the competition and just want bang for buck, currently AMD seems the processor group of choice) and so was considering waiting to see what happens with those processors.

I am not particualrly experimental with PC hardware (I don't mind a bit of overclocking but nothing drastic) and so, as someone who most definitely won't be an early adopter, I wonder if the wait for the release of something no one has yet really seen is actually worth it. Any views on that would be appreciated.

In the meantime I am looking for a decent spec, I really only want to upgrade memory/graphics cards and that sort of thing over the next 2-3 years. I would prefer a CPU 'out of the box' that I don't have to overclock unless I want to (which probably takes out Opterons, though it depends how 'easy' it is to overclock them on air with a decent cooler). I don't need a new monitor, keyboard nor mouse as yet, so the budget for the case and everything in it is £1400 including win xp sp2.

I am slightly concerned about dual cores as I keep reading about having to run them through the single core in some games (not sure if this slows things down) - certainly they seem to be of the future but not very now.

If you guys could offer a spec that would be appreciated and give me a good idea about whether to wait or if what can be had now would keep me happy.

Purpose of the PC is working from home (which lets face it I could practically do on a 486 if it would run MS Bloatware, so most things will handle that) and then of course gaming (ranging from fps to rpgs etc). I'd like to, for a short while until everything in my shiny new machine goes out of date (after 2 weeks heh), be able to run the newer things at a good rate and really see the benefit of a fairly costly upgrade. Ideally I'd prefer Nvidia graphics because I have had horrible Ati driver issues in the past (admittedly a long time ago), but I am open to all suggestions.

Apologies for long post, advice and help appreciated.

CP-148-AM AMD Opteron UP 170 Dual Core San Diego 2.0GHz 2MB Cache (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-148-AM)
£274.95 £274.95
MB-111-AS Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS)
£99.95 £99.95
MY-046-GL GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)
£94.95 £94.95
HD-047-WD Western Digital Caviar Special Edition 160GB 1600JS SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-047-WD)
£44.95 £44.95
HD-015-WD Western Digital Raptor 74GB WD740GD 10,000RPM SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-WD)
£93.50 £93.50
CD-016-AS Asus DRW-1608P2 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - Retail (CD-016-AS)
£24.95 £24.95
FG-000-AR Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)
£15.95 £15.95
GX-072-XF XFX GeForce 7900 GTX 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT71F-YDLR) (GX-072-XF)
£324.95 £324.95
CA-015-TT Thermaltake VB1000BWS Soprano SuperMidi Tower - Black (CA-015-TT)
£42.95 £42.95
CA-006-HP Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue (CA-006-HP)
£52.95 £52.95
SC-032-CL Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition - Retail (SC-032-CL)
£115.95 £115.95
Subtotal £1,186.00
VAT £207.55
Total £1,393.55

Just on budget :cool:

Youve got a dual core Opteron, now I know you said you wernt into overclocking but with all the support you can gain through these forums it should be a walk in the park :) and with it being dual core, as you said, increased future proofing.
2GB of GeIL Value because its the best value and performs great.
You've got 160GB of main storage and a 74GB Raptor to have a play with for things like Fraps and what have you.
7900GTX because its (arguably) the best performing graphics card on the market today :cool: and with the SLI board you can add a second card at a later date.

That looks good, lots of PC there :) Thanks!

Have to add XP on top but then I can always reuse it on another machine once I have a non entailed to manufacturer version.

Its surprising how much more you can get building your own, particularly in knowing what make things are.

Couple of points..I know I can get some help but is overclocking an Opteron a fairly easy proposition? I understand its a server chip but am not sure that makes a difference. I've read you can get FX level performance on these chips..is that something that's achievable for someone who doesn't always do this sort of thing?

Is it worth getting a mobo that has the x16 feature for sli, or is sli a bit pointless given you have to find 2 cards of the same type to take advantage of it?

Are there any advantages in waiting for AMD2 to have an upgrade route via DDR2 memory (obviously lose the Opteron there, likely a bad idea) or will there still be a fair choice in DDR memory when things need more than 2GB?

I don't plan on changing things for a fair while. I am not one to want the latest thing (I just want to have the most for the money at the time) but I understand skt 939 is going to go out of the window shortly. Is it better to build a more basic machine now and go for broke later or is all the future stuff so much speculation its better to just get something that really looks like it works now? Appreciate views from you guys as I suspect you keep a better eye on the industry than I do.

Also finalising a list based on that spec (perhaps with a different case) so appreciate your view on it when its done.

Thanks again for the help. I was looking at other forums but they are so full of fanboy teens screaming at each other I thought they were fps sites not techy ones :)

Back
Top Bottom