Would more ram help in aoe3?

Caporegime
When I run on max settings 1280x960 (bar aa) and with 8 players on large maps the framerate can drop below 30fps when just looking at my city, would more ram help? Im thinking of selling my assorted ram and getting 2gb of the same stuff. Would 4x 512mb or 2x1gb be faster?

Last edited:
Get 2x1GB matched pair... Either OCZ Gold's, Ballistix, or if you can afford it Mushkins...
I'm running 4x256 OCZ's and I just learned that I can't change my memory timings from 2T to 1T for that extra bit of performance. aparently it's something to do with AMD not liking running at 1T with 4 ram modules.
I'd personally recommend the OCZ's, I just love the way they look!

I know but im willing to spend a little more for better performance. I just need a quick explanation about timings. The ocuk ram doesnt give their timings which makes me think they cant be good.

There are 4 numbers right? Which ones should be low/high for best performance?

Are these anygood?

OCZ Value 2GB 2x1GB DDR400 PC3200 CL 3-4-4-8 £110 inc

OCZ Performance 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 PC3200 CL 3-3-3-8 £120 inc

Last edited:
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)
2-3-3-6

a little dearer than the others but worth it, dont go for cas 3(the first one) unless its pc4000 speeds

In the ocuk memory stickies it says that cas doesnt matter much for A64.

Speaking of which can someone please move this into the memory forum :)

Last edited:
nobody seems to have mentioned that the extra ram may not make any difference at all in aoe3.
have task manager running while you play the game and check your ram usage - if it doesn't go above 1gb then having the extra will have no effect. - aoe3 is quite demanding on graphics card and cpu.

Ok.

Lower numbers are better for timings.

2-2-2-5 1T would be the best available at the moment.

You also want PC3200 rated RAM for an AMD system.

2x1GB is better as you can run at 1T timing which is faster, 4x512 means you need to run at 2T timing (bigger number = slower)

M

Energize said:
In the ocuk memory stickies it says that cas doesnt matter much for A64.
and besides which, 9 times out of 10 you can drop CAS3 down to CAS2.5 :)

i'd highly recommend the G.Skill ZX series if your willing to shell out £150, i wouldn't bother with the Corsair XMS posted above, its the same price as the G.Skill ZX but the ZX has tighter timings and should be a little quicker and you get a nice Lifetime Warrenty with them :)

if your looking at pure value for money, IMO you can't go wrong with the GeIL Value series... i used to use the 1GB set before moving to G.Skill ZX 2GB.

the GeIL ram despite being labelled as Value, performs very well, overclocks nicely (and easily too) and doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.

One more thing - the differences between the different speed memories will not make THAT much difference to you, the overall size of your memory can.

In games with large maps (etc) 2Gb of memory is a performance must.

Also, CPU and GFx are MUCH more of a limiting factor in your gameplay than memory speed.

Looking at your sig, the CPU and memory size are the two areas to improve.

M

Energize said:
The cpus at 2.7Ghz at the moment.
i dont see any issue with the CPU tbh a 3500+ is still a very good CPU :confused:
and clocked at 2.7GHz you've got an FX55 beater.

tbh i dont see the memory improving your FPS that much, it may smooth them out (create a better margin between your lowest/highest FPS) but its not really going to add much of a boost apart from increasing loading times.

i'm not sure on OCZ memory tbh so i can't comment on them, i'll leave that for someone else.

the only thing i will say, which may sound stupid... if your playing online with a fair wad of people and it starts to slow down... you sure its not just lag?

Back
Top Bottom