Would you buy a G5 Power Mac now?

Soldato
With the introduction of the Intel MacPro's the G5 Power Macs seem to have dropped dramatically in price. Wondering do you think its worth getting one to play with. Or would you not touch a Mac unless it was an intel one.

Soldato
Just for trying out OS X any of the later G4s will do. My PM G4 runs Leopard dam well.

You can pickup a mac mini for the same price as a good G5.

So up to you tbh.

I'd get a Mac Mini or Macbook tho.

Associate
My G5 powermac (dual processor 2GHz) is still dead quick, yet to put leopard on it though. For an introduction to OS X it might be a good investment. You can pack it with memory too, up to 8Gig if you have the money.

Soldato
If you just want to try out the Mac OS and do a bit of web surfing then yeah a G5 Mac would be fine. I still use my G4 iBook now and again for light work.

However just ask yourself how likely it is that you'll play around with the Mac, like it, then NEED the latest and greatest. Some people have itchy fingers like that. If you think you could live with the G5 for a couple of years then go for it.

Soldato
OP
Put it this way I can get a 2GB/250GB Dual G5 Power Mac for 40% the cost of a new MacBook. Or slightly less than a New Mac Mini. I just want it to play with it. TBH a Laptop would suit be better, but it seemed like a bargain.

Soldato
I'd buy it then if you're happy with the price.

Of course, with it being PPC and all you may find less and less apps for it as the years pass, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Deleted member 329

D

Deleted member 329

no, some software has already started coming out with software thats intel only... while most of the developer's out there are pretty good with the UB's some are beginnig to get sloppy ( google android dev pack for example ) which is an intel only release.

its only tech too... its at the end of its life ( not really but now no one is making them its the end of an era for PPC and mac ) so support is going to slowly drop off while intel is supported.

but a macbook :D ?

Soldato
I use a quad 2.5ghz G5 at work with 2.5gigs of RAM and it's really quite fast. The only thing that would bother me is, as mentioned above, future lack of support for the PPC platform as a whole.

Soldato
I'm using a PowerMac Dual G5 2.0Ghz w/ 4GB of RAM and 300GB Hard drive space in RAID 0. Is extremely quick still and feels more nippy opening apps than my MBP.

I want to sell it soon and get a Mac Pro.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom