• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a second hand GPU

Caporegime
Thanks for all the great replies, looks like a lot of you recommend the 980ti and that's what I think I'll go for, do you guys think the 980ti will last a few years from now with gaming

Depends on resolution...

Pascal will be driver optimised for some time

The 980ti is a good card but 1080 have been sold in MM for £350!

Permabanned
I sell used cards in equal condition to new cards nearly everyone who i sold too would have to admit they are immaculate. And i do believe someone got a 980 off me with only 1200 hours or so for £200. But you will find cards under this like Easyrider said someone sold a 1080 for £350 and it must have been a right banger! My 1080 was £599 in September 16 has around 400hours to date and will be sold on the MM the week Volta is announced.

You would not even get a peek through the window at my 1080 for £350 at the minute. :p

Associate
With recent gpu prices skyrocketing 2nd hand is the way to go imo.

I just picked up a 2nd hand 1080ti for £590.

In the past I've purchased a R290, 780, 980, 980ti x2. All from different places.

GPU's are very robust. Hardly anything goes wrong with them. Saying that you want to consider any remaining warranty and whether the 2nd owner is covered or if the original purchaser will help should anything go wrong.

Soldato
I got a 980Ti for £265. Performance is somewhere between a 1070 and 1080.

By comparison, I bought my 780 new at £450-odd... After just under 3 years, it's worth less than a hundred quid. That hurts.

with graphics cards advancing at the rate they have for years.....

(well ok AMD haven't really gone anywhere for a while having seemingly given up on the high end)

.......then 3 years of use/abuse is a long time in gpu world so it's hardly surprising that a now rather archaic 780 is worth little over 50 notes after three years with likely no warranty left.

Cant expect much more £££'s for a 2nd hand 980ti vs something like this...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Depends on resolution...

Pascal will be driver optimised for some time

The 980ti is a good card but 1080 have been sold in MM for £350!
Yeah. Poor dude lost around £200 in a matter of a couple of months on that one. Unless Vega improves price for performance, 1080 second hand prices won't go down any more for a while.

I got bored of waiting and wanted a new toy so I hedged my bets by going for a 1080 on members market. Even if Vega turns out to be very good, I doubt I will lose much on my 1080, if it turns out to be plop, then I have a nice card to keep me happy until the 1170 comes out :)

Win win :D

Soldato
with graphics cards advancing at the rate they have for years.....
.......then 3 years of use/abuse is a long time in gpu world so it's hardly surprising that a now rather archaic 780 is worth little over 50 notes after three years with likely no warranty left.
It's always a shocker when you look at it, though, given how much these things cost and ho wlittle life you get from them. I can't really think of anything else in life that costs so much but doesn't last. Everything else can still be used, even if it isn't the top thing, while graphics cards suddenly become unable to cope. Even mobile phones aren't that bad.
AMD cards seem to get better once they sort the drivers out, but that can take years too.

Soldato
Personally unless you get some degree of warranty I am not so sure. If there is no warranty the card could last 5 years with no problem or go kaput in six months and you will be out of pocket,so I would be looking a GTX980TI card were there is a transferable warranty or the seller is willing to cover the last bit of the warranty themselves if something goes wrong.

If you are spending only like a £100 it might not be so bad,if you are spending £200 to £250 it is actually a reasonable sum of money IMHO.

Soldato
It's always a shocker when you look at it, though, given how much these things cost and ho wlittle life you get from them. I can't really think of anything else in life that costs so much but doesn't last. Everything else can still be used, even if it isn't the top thing, while graphics cards suddenly become unable to cope. Even mobile phones aren't that bad.
AMD cards seem to get better once they sort the drivers out, but that can take years too.

objectively i would say its actually a good thing! Scrooge's/ poor people can buy relatively recent hardware for little £££'s and buy older games for far less than release price for a budget gaming experience not too far behind the bleeding edge. Rich people/ enthusiast's have frequent upgrades to choose from without the sorts of stagnation CPU's have suffered for years (Ryzen is only really an advancement on pricing - not performance over intel's recent CPU's with comparable core counts) !!

Soldato
objectively i would say its actually a good thing! Scrooge's/ poor people can buy relatively recent hardware for little £££'s and buy older games for far less than release price for a budget gaming experience not too far behind the bleeding edge.
Thing is, the price drops are far behind enough that by the time the peasantry can afford it, no-one is playing those games any more... perhaps a few diehard veteran experts who know all the hax, but that's not really fun to play on.

Soldato
Thing is, the price drops are far behind enough that by the time the peasantry can afford it, no-one is playing those games any more... perhaps a few diehard veteran experts who know all the hax, but that's not really fun to play on.

single player games are fine though, despite being more of an enthusiast I mostly play so games so could save £££s by staying further behind the curve. If your playing competitively online you can often make better use of lower game settings to improve your game! (thinking fps's here) so older hardware is ok to!

Associate
It's really all about your budget. For about £150 you could buy a brand new GTX 1050 or a second hand GTX 970 which is orders of magnitude greater than the 1050. For me personally if I had the budget for a brand new GTX 1070 and was debating spending over £350 on a used GTX Titan then I couldn't justify that and would go for the 1070. Buying used is a way for someone to get close to top end performance when on a lower mid range budget.

Back
Top Bottom