• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a second hand GPU

Associate
I have multiple times in the past, although the last gpu I bought 2nd hand (a 780) died on me after about 4 months of use. I'd still considering it again though depending on the price in comparison to buying new.

Associate
got my first 2nd hand gpu in the post today, doa , lucky they have a local high st store so got my money back on it already and now looking to buy 2nd hand again, not going to be my main gpu so not bothered too much what its like but must admit id rather have a nice shiny new 1 , unboxing them is fun lol

Associate
I've been buying new only for the past 6 or 7 years mainly because I don't want something someone else used and abused. Yes it costs more, but it's a new thing, there's warranty, deals to be had, free games, offers. I tend not to buy on release though, with some notable exceptions. 1080 forced my hand as I knew prices will go up.

Best idea is to never rush into buying anything, wait for some good offers and always have a second card ready, so I am never without GPU, whatever happens. I have the 1080 and a MSI 970 so whatever happens I am covered for a few years. Might buy the 2080 TI in a few years, definitely not on release though.

Soldato
I probably would but I like getting the latest cards used cards only tend to show up in numbers after a year or so and especially after a new series of cards is released as people upgrade. If you want a latest card there is always B grade but thats a whole other kettle of fish and having had a card that died after a few months I'd be reluctant to try that again.

Soldato
havent purchased a new graphics card since 2yrs ago when i got my system with my first and slower gtx 750 to the one i have now, 270x i had couldnt be purchased new, nor could the gtx 560 superclocked and gts 450 plus the odd amd/nvidia older/weaker cards which i also owned last year, im aiming for a 970, so really used is the best and probably only way.

before couple weeks ago i had my sight set on the 2gb rx 460 as a new buy for less than £90, but for months i was console gaming, now in the last couple weeks or so ive gone back to pc gaming with the now occasional console gaming when i go to bed(pc downstairs) which means the 460 be pointless, so the likes of the 970 is better value to me than a 1060/480. fair enough if i could afford a new 1060/1070 or amd equivalent then i would, so it boils down to what you can afford and the price to performance.

Soldato
OP
before couple weeks ago i had my sight set on the 2gb rx 460 as a new buy for less than £90, but for months i was console gaming, now in the last couple weeks or so ive gone back to pc gaming with the now occasional console gaming when i go to bed(pc downstairs) which means the 460 be pointless, so the likes of the 970 is better value to me than a 1060/480. fair enough if i could afford a new 1060/1070 or amd equivalent then i would, so it boils down to what you can afford and the price to performance.

Yeah I've been back into console gaming but I always end up going back to PC gaming,

What would you say the 970 is equivalent to?

Been looking at a lot 980ti's lately pricing seems acceptable, my old man has a 970 in his build and its a good performing GPU

Soldato
im only gone back to pc so i could set it up downstairs to actually be bothered to use it lol plus stops me sitting upstairs most the day or least when the kids at school(stay at home dad like) not to mention all the faff and money spent on games(oh and the fact for 2 weeks i tried to sell it and no good so got a new case to use it again)

my brother has the 970 4gb msi gaming and its brilliant, he doesnt game much as hes in the army, but hes rebuilding his computer slowly and still does a lot with it when he can which is sort of why i want the 970, someone on gum is selling a boxed msi gaming for £100, i just cant get it lol, im not one for advance movements, im one of those people that have to wait a few months/years to get something nice that is now old lol.. anyways the 380x/390x i believe was always to be the equivalent or the non x models if i remember, new wise, i think the 1060/470?

go to 3 letter worded 2nd hand(ends with X) shop and you can get a 980ti for £220, dont know if thats good or not now though, not seen one on gum or anywhere for less.

Associate
I bought Az's card of here in the end so looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. From my experience, people are buying second hand 980ti's anywhere from £240 to £260. Its still good value for money even if they are a couple of years old as with a decent overclock your getting in between 1070 and 1080 performance.

Associate
I bought Az's card of here in the end so looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. From my experience, people are buying second hand 980ti's anywhere from £240 to £260. Its still good value for money even if they are a couple of years old as with a decent overclock your getting in between 1070 and 1080 performance.
980 Ti is a fantastic card! Sold mine for 200 to my twin who loves it does 1440p 60Hz maxed out just fine

Back
Top Bottom