Would you buy another iPad?

Soldato
Before I aks the question - would you buy another iPad/Tablet computer, first my criteria.

I'm not talking about iPads used for business or iPads that go mobile. I'm talking iPads that always stay in the home. I also appreciate that everyone's computer needs are different.

I do like the iPad and find it is great for instant browsing, checking emails, mirroring content to ATV2 etc. etc.

I do however find it incredibly frustrating when it comes to doing anything productive with it. For someone who was trained to touch type the pseudo keyboard drives me to distraction, it is simply so darn slow. Even shortish emails can be a mare, I don't mean a response like "OK" or "yes that will do fine" rather anything with more than a few lines. As for writing or editing documents, well forget it. I know I could connect a keyboard but to be honest once you go down that road then you defeat the whole reason for having a tablet.

To sum up then, for me it is good but limited, no replacement for a Desktop or even a Laptop computer. It could well be for the home then maybe an Ultrabook and my Desktop is a better solution. It is something I would do a lot of research about next time round. iPad - great for convenience not so great for productivity.

Man of Honour
Yes, tablets are the ideal media consumption and let's be honest most people only media consume on computers. The flexibility is enormouse. Not even a notebook comes close to the ease of a tablet on the sofa/bed.

Adding a keyboard for more intensive work, does not defeat the point at all. It's still a tablet that can be used without the keyboard.

Tablet has more or less replaced the pc totally. Apart from gaming/streaming stuff to tv.

The biggest downside for me, is only running one app at a time, I do not have good concentration and I want to watch Netflix/catchup tv and browse the forums etc. One of the must have features for me in w8(split screen)

Soldato
OP
Yes, tablets are the ideal media consumption and let's be honest most people only media consume on computers. The flexibility is enormouse. Not even a notebook comes close to the ease of a tablet on the sofa/bed.

Adding a keyboard for more intensive work, does not defeat the point at all. It's still a tablet that can be used without the keyboard.

Tablet has more or less replaced the pc totally. Apart from gaming/streaming stuff to tv.

The biggest downside for me, is only running one app at a time, I do not have good concentration and I want to watch Netflix/catchup tv and browse the forums etc. One of the must have features for me in w8(split screen)

Oh! I can't really buy into your view that the tablet has replaced the PC. For me a computer is my workhorse, a valuable work tool. Consuming media is a secondary consideration. I have tried the iPad with my iMac keyboard but to be honest it just didn't feel right.

Soldato
I think I'll be getting a Win8 tablet before another iPad. I intend to use this current one (iPad3) until it breaks so I should get a good few years out of it. Fantastic for what it does, but frustratingly limited sometimes.

Soldato
OP
I think I'll be getting a Win8 tablet before another iPad. I intend to use this current one (iPad3) until it breaks so I should get a good few years out of it. Fantastic for what it does, but frustratingly limited sometimes.

I suppose the trade off is the claim "it just works" against a closed environment. As I say the iPad is a great little piece of tech, but for responding to emails of any length, composing or editing docs etc. then one really sees its limitations. I will be interested to see how the W8 Ultrabooks stack up for instant booting and other things the iPad can do when they come to market. If they can offer me the ease of use of a tablet combined with the ease of use of a Desktop for productivity, then for me that may be a better solution as I don't need to take any of these items mobile.

Soldato
To be honest, 90% of my emails I don't find a chore to type up on the iPad. I really like the form factor as it's just brilliant for web browsing and light forum contribution (like now) but occasionally I just wish it could do more in regards to file management and inputs. I very much doubt Apple will go down this route though, as it's not their style and would rather sell you multiple products.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, 90% of my emails I don't find a chore to type up on the iPad. I really like the form factor as it's just brilliant for web browsing and light forum contribution (like now) but occasionally I just wish it could do more in regards to file management and inputs. I very much doubt Apple will go down this route though, as it's not their style and would rather sell you multiple products.

I did say though at the outset everyones computer useage needs are different. My emails are rarely one liners (more like half a page) which to type up on the iPad keyboard is very slow and very frustrating. Someone who is used to lots of two fingered copy typing may fair better but for a touch typist like myself it's no fun. As you say for web browsing and the like then iPad is great. We'll see what W8 brings to the table in a different form factor. It would be nice if MS had an app developed for Office Mac to compliment Office for Mac on my iMac. Having said that Skydrive is now available as an app which does mean I can get my Word docs should I want them from the Cloud to iPad.

Soldato
Following on from this thread, I'm strongly considering getting an iPad. My main worry with it is the lack of a file explorer/manager. Saving a file to a location and being able to open it with another App would be really useful, and something I think I'd struggle to live without. Are there any decent workarounds for this, short of jailbreaking?

Soldato
You can kind of do it with apps like SkyDrive and of course you can save images and then open them from within photo apps for example, but if you're looking for any sort of consistent file management experience then iOS just falls short.

Soldato
No.

I tried a Xoom first, had a six month break or so then bought an iPad. That ended up on the shelf too for the same reason as the first - I prefer my Macbook Air. I find it easier to work with.

Associate
I would in a heartbeat. Love my Ipad for media, streaming a film upstairs in the bedroom, having a listen to talksport, reading things on Flipboard is a joy! Not to mention casual gaming to pass the time as well.

I like the fact that i can pick it up, press the On button and there you go instant,

Soldato
I don't know.

I do love the iPad but the last 2 I've had developed faults. Yes I know Apples aftercare is great but I've seen the latest Android tablets, and OS, and have to say I'm impressed. I really don't understand Apples refusal to incorporate flash when my phone runs flash websites flawlessly.

Saying that, this time next year I wouldn't be surprised if I have the latest iPad :D

Back
Top Bottom