Would you ever use Bank Transfer on Gumtree?

Associate
Seller insists on using it. It'll be for a £200 item. He tells me he's had previous bad experiences with Paypal and being ripped off/being left in the negative. As reassurance, he's told me he'll provide his ID, proof of address, bank details, etc.

Thoughts?

Absolute zero chance I'd see the money again if the seller decides not to send the item? Halifax wouldn't be able to assist me in anyway, right?

Why do people insist on asking this question? It must be the fourth or fifth time I've seen it on here. Gumtree is face to face and cash only.

I understand it may have been designed that way, but times change. I'm just unsure if there's any sort of protection I can get from the bank if the seller turns out to be dodgy. All conversations are recorded via text and he'll provide me proof of who he is, etc etc.

And no, I'm not new to the internet. He seems genuine and it's really unfair to brand >everyone< that uses Gumtree that is willing to post is always going to be a scammer. I've bought from the site twice in the past, both items being posted with no issues.

But then again, to be fair to legitimate sellers, what stops a buyer from paying PayPal, then charging back upon receiving the item? Works both ways, really. I'm almost certain the guy is legitimate, but I won't risk it this time.

So you are the person who messages asking to post?

You need to stop using a local ad site to buy stuff far away and ask for it to be posted.

The fact that you have had to come here and ask for advice shows that you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Please stop using gumtree and tell all the other people who don't understand how it works to stop using it too

What's wrong with a legitimate buyer asking someone to post an item because of distance? :rolleyes:

He's using a local ads site to buy stuff far away. He doesn't get that he shouldn't be doing this. So I don't think he cares what gumtree recommend

I'm aware of it's intended use, and that it's not recommended, but it's not the end of the world if there's users on there that deliver to those that aren't in their local area. Yes there's a very high chance of you getting scammed, but not everyone is on there to scam you. Stop being so negative about it, lol.

How did you plan on paying this person?

If it's by PayPal he's right to demand bank transfer.

Also why do you find it difficult to understand that you are in the wrong? Not the seller.

You are approaching them to post something on a local ad site. Something that you shouldn't be doing and is recommended that you don't do.

You are one of the many reasons people hate using gumtree.

Originally PayPal, so I had protection. I'm not a scammer, so it's not like I was going to screw anyone over.

If any seller had a problem with posting an item, they can kindly say no to my initial message of asking about it being delivered. I'm not going to badger them after that. We'd both move on. No big deal, right?

We can put this thread to rest. I won't risk it. I was more curious about the protection side of bank transfer and if it has changed over the years. The article I linked did say something was changing this year in regards to bank transfer scams and getting protection from it, but I didn't know if it's actually in place or not.

Back
Top Bottom