• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you return a processor for a faulty core temp sensor?

Soldato
Directly through amd/intel I mean under warranty, rather than through ocuk? Or would you consider it too petty and just stick with it? This is my current dilemma. Some would consider me an obsessive idiot, and perhaps some wouldn't :p

Soldato
If it is faulty, then Overlcocking would be risky as you could not be sure of overheating, also, how is the system supposed to protect itself (throttling etc) if its getting incorrect readings, also, selling this on could be a problem!

I would return it for replacment, if your sure its faulty.

Soldato
OP
I am pretty much 100% certain. I've done a LOT of research and a LOT of questioning on tons of forums. At first, I and others thought the mobo sensors were screwed up, but the conclusion now is that the core temp sensor is ******. 20c, a VERY nice idle temp with new cooler, from 32c with stock cooler. In both cases of stock cooler and new cooler, core temps are always 14 to 18c LOWER than bios temps. All other temps like hard drives, motherboard and cpu socket are all in the mid to late 30s, and I think they all sound about right. Yet I have this incredibly low idle AND load core temp, way lower than all other temps.

Soldato
OP
The on die temp sensors unfortunately are not designed for temp monitoring, they are only for thermal shutdown etc.

So RMA would be impossible.

Yah, I wouldn't RMA to ocuk if I did it, I wouldn't want to give them the hassle.
I would do it through AMD, who I rang earlier to try and make sense of these temps. But would you agree that the core temps sound completely wrong? And are you saying I shouldn't worry and if I overclock, I should just concern myself with bios temp?

Soldato
Could it be his bios thats the calprit here, cos when I upgraded over a yr ago my temps were all over the place for a few months untill a bios update got them on track???

RJC

RJC

Don
I had a simular problem with my E8600 cpu, I spoke to Intel which basicaly said that the cpu will protect it's self in an event and that I should speak to the software programmers or check for any BIOS updates.
As this did not effect the operation of the chip and the software used was not a Intel software package - if see what I mean.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see anything wrong here Merlin, you have a TRUE cooling a dual core processor, your temps are going to be seriously low!!

My old Zalman 9700NT used to keep my old 90nm 6000+ X2 at 25c idle temps, and these chips run REALLY hot usually.

If your system isn't showing any real issues, then I personally can't see neither OcUK or AMD replacing your chip because of something like this.

Have you tried using CoreTemp to monitor temperatures instead of Everest?

If so what does it say?

Soldato
Anyone got the same cpu and motherboard, then we can rule out the motherboard/bios theory

I don't see anything wrong here Merlin, you have a TRUE cooling a dual core processor, your temps are going to be seriously low!!

My old Zalman 9700NT used to keep my old 90nm 6000+ X2 at 25c idle temps, and these chips run REALLY hot usually.

If your system isn't showing any real issues, then I personally can't see neither OcUK or AMD replacing your chip because of something like this.

Have you tried using CoreTemp to monitor temperatures instead of Everest?

If so what does it say?

Those temps are stupidly low, id say room temperature low, and that a tad impossible on air cooling even with a decent cooler??

Soldato
Anyone got the same cpu and motherboard, then we can rule out the motherboard/bios theory

Those temps are stupidly low, id say room temperature low, and that a tad impossible on air cooling even with a decent cooler??
but look at mine above, its similar temps but different cpu and motherboard so it's impossible its his cpu and motherboard.

Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P + a 720

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom