Would you trust this HDD?

ERU

ERU

Associate
I came back from a LaN yesterday (possibly my last one ever as i'm selling the gaming computer) and there was a buzzing noise coming from what appears to be my HDDs. Here are my x2 drives and results:

Your hard disk is a Maxtor 6L300S0 with firmware BANC1G10.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 36C (MIN=26C MAX=49C) and yours is 30C.

Your hard disk is a WDC WD740GD-00FLA2 with firmware 31.08F31.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 32C (MIN=21C MAX=45C) and yours is 32C.

Testing software is Speed Fan

Now the WD Raptor looks ok but i'm very concerned about the Maxtor. Should i be writting all my files to DVD as we speak? or rushing to PC world for a backup drive? Looks bad to me!

Associate
I can't say anything about what that report menas exactly, but it don't look too good.

From experience - Maxtor drives = hot drives = unreliable.

I would never trust my important data to such a cheap hard disk. I wouldn't bother with the "backup drive" but go straight to the "replacement drive". Seagate and Samsung drives are quality and cool. Hitachi are also high quality but a little warmer. Western Digital seem to concentrate on speed and get very hot so fail a little more often. And Maxtor are so bad that they have now sold the business to Seagate. :) (All personal opinion from 10 years of PC support work)

This weekend I was rescuing data from a Maxtor disk in a two year old Dell which had cooked itself close to death....

ERU

ERU

Associate
OP
Well im selling my performance computer and just keeping a laptop for work soon so a NAS or USB drive might be best for me. The noise has now stopped but i'm backing up as we speak :)

Soldato
Maxtors are always dieing.

Theres a tool called Powermax which you can download to test the drive.

The seek error for the raptor is a little worrying. None of my three have any seek error at all, although i can confirm that the power on hours count is always looking bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom