Wow!!! RamDisk Setup & Demo with over 9,000 MB/s Write Performance!

Soldato
ramdisk1.jpg

Soldato
Just tried this out and holy moly!!!!!

trial download of the software is available here > http://www.superspeed.com/download/trialversions.php

15 day trial, which is more than enough for some tasty benchmarking tbh

Created a 4Gb disk
Ram is Corsairs Vengeance running at 1600Mhz with C9 timings
Ramdiskspeedtest.png

and it beats their attempt :O, it would be very interesting to try this on some proper 1866 ram or even higher specced 2400 stuff hehe

Soldato
You peeps are so behind.:D

I run 32gb of memory (Corsair Vengeance 4x8gb) split 16gb system & 16gb for a Ram Disk.

In my other threads, I have praised the benefits of a Ram Disk many times, as it will save a lot of read/writes, & wear & tear on a ssd if you have one.

Would interesting to see if there is any further benefits to be gained by using faster memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
You peeps are so behind.:D

I run 32gb of memory split 16gb system & 16gb for a Ram Drive.

In my other threads, I praise the benefit of Ram Drives, & it will save a lot of read/writes, & wear if you have a ssd.

shush, only got enough ram a few days ago and i've been busy benchmarking,

which is what you should be posting tbh :p It would be really good to get a memory/ramdrive benchmarking thread going :)

Associate
Thought I'd give it a go, here are my results. :)

ramdisktest.png

These are with 1866MHz (9-9-9-27 1N) @ 1.40v bios settings though and I will post some more tomorrow with better settings.

But for now, bed. :D

Soldato
Ram drives are so neglected in my opinion, been over looked far too long.

Used with a X79 board & a large amount of memory, say 48gb (6x8gb) of fast memory, & having 16gb system & 32gb ram drive, it would be impressive performance.

I did ask in 'New Products', if OcUk could stock some other 16gb (2x8gb) memory kits.

SeraphX I will when I get my new cpu, using a G620 now as temporary stop gap .

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Nightglow said:
Would interesting to see if there is any further benefits to be gained by using faster memory.
In the video they mentioned using G.Skill Trident 2800 @ 11-13-13-35. So doesn't look like it makes any difference, although would be good to see more tests.

Soldato
OP
This is more suitable if you have a X79 board DDR3-2400 - PC3 19200 64gb (8X8gb)

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=460

Did look at Z68 & Z77 boards to replace an aging 775 pc, but decided X79 was the better option.
Looking at prices on the web, looks like it would cost around a grand for that kit if not more. :eek:

I would just get the cheapest 8x4GB 1600C9 for now, well if I switched to X79.

Soldato
Looking at prices on the web, looks like it would cost around a grand for that kit if not more. :eek:

I would just get the cheapest 8x4GB 1600C9 for now, well if I switched to X79.

Shame I can't afford that, but some on here wouldn't hesitate spending that amount.

I find 32gb is ample, splitting it 16gb/16gb.

Soldato
I think tomorrow is going to be spent tweaking ram settings, see if i can't get them running at 1866 and see if there are any significant increases to be had :p

Really really wish i had 32Gb now, be great to see how a fully modded Fallout 3 performs lol

Soldato
I must admit this is an incredible idea...

Thing is, I'm not sure there's much point... I understand it for photoshop, or as a scratch disc. That makes sense. But why would you run bf3 off of it.... 'yay I loaded bf3 in 5 seconds, now I have to wait another 25 seconds whilst everyone else playing this game has to'....

kd

Soldato
I use my ram drive for firefox cache, write buffer my ssd, system temp files & on my htpc for video editing buffering, & several other things.

You can set up a ram drive to be backed up on to a hard drive if need be, also ram drives are cleared when shutting down, so anything personal is gone for ever.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom