WWDC 2006

Man of Honour
BoomAM said:
For that price i'd want at least 300Gb, if not 500Gb of HDD space, and at least 2Gb of ram. Not to mention a gfx card with a bit more power than a 7300!
You're missing the point. The G5, and now the Pro, are targetted at the professional workstation market, not the home/gamer market. They're optimised for compute-intensive tasks like 3D modelling/rendering and the like. Blender (3D rendering software) loves Core Duos - my Mac Mini is ample testament to that. Mac Pro has about 4x the compute power of the Mac Mini, so it should absolutely fly. :cool:

This keynote was decidedly underwhelming given last year's Intel blockbuster. The stock market seems to have taken an equal amount of dislike to it as well. :(

Soldato
Berserker said:
You're missing the point. The G5, and now the Pro, are targetted at the professional workstation market, not the home/gamer market. They're optimised for compute-intensive tasks like 3D modelling/rendering and the like. Blender (3D rendering software) loves Core Duos - my Mac Mini is ample testament to that. Mac Pro has about 4x the compute power of the Mac Mini, so it should absolutely fly. :cool:

This keynote was decidedly underwhelming given last year's Intel blockbuster. The stock market seems to have taken an equal amount of dislike to it as well. :(

Underwhelming, I disagree, there isnt much which can beat the Intel announcment they made, and the Time Machine thing is brilliant, how it will backup I don't know to another HDD? to the Internet (not likely). Also Core Animation, as im starting to get into Cocoa Development I am very excited by the possibility of Simple animations like that...

However like many blogs have said, no mention of updates to finder, and I also notice no change to Safari's design, which I would expect as they have started using this polished metal interface, however they havent applied this to safari, and there are no changes to the way searching works either :(, perhapse these are the 'top secret' features which we are yet to discover. I also want to see front row 2.0 with more Vista MCE like features.

Associate
unknowndomain said:
I also want to see front row 2.0 with more Vista MCE like features.

i'm sure somewhere it says "next generation front row" although exactly what this entails i don't know... perhaps something they still want keep the details of secret?

Soldato
Berserker said:
You're missing the point.
No, im not.
If its aimed at 3D modelers / animators, why doesnt it have more memory? Why doesnt it have a better video card?
Both are required points in making the machine capable of those tasks.
Infact, all it appear to be good at in the regards, is the final rendering process. And no-ones gonna drop £1700 for a machine that cant do anything well before the final render.

Permabanned
Berserker said:
Mac Pro with Core 2 Duo has already been confirmed and will be available when the Apple Store re-opens. :)

Oh, and the iTime Machine wasn't so far-fetched after all. :p

TBH it has further confirmed my belief that I have psychic powers.

I PREDICT IT WILL GO DARK TONIGHT.

Very let down RE: Keynotes btw. Expected so much more. I thought there would be more info on Leopard, as that is what tickles my nuts the most this year. Mac Pro, we knew pretty much all of what was floating around already.

Looks nice though, I especially like the HDD bays. If they are SATA as well, does that mean you could pull them without shutting down? (excluding OS drive of course).

Associate
I watched the keynote last night when the video footage was released and I'm definetly impressed with it all, I'm not really bothered about the Mac Pro much as I doubt I'll ever buying the model anytime soon.

All the statistics were very pleasing, and the most important thing ... Leopard, has definetly met my expectations. Time Machine is astonishing, really, I didn't think much of it at first as I was expecting the guy to say that it was just a normal wizard like Windows ... but it really is amazing.

Spaces seems good, although I don't think it'll be something i'll be making use of much ... I said that about Dashboard though and use it constantly.

Talking about dashboard ... WebClip ... how good is that! Again, I didn't think much of it at first but after he quickly showed the webcam footage, I remember I was trying to figure out how to do something like that on my dad's mac of a live webcam over in Florida and with this he, and myself can do it easily, with whatever we want.

I don't use iChat much because I still need to talk to all my M$ friends with Microsoft Messenger ... hopefully they'll sneakly put in support for it though. Anyway, all the features look superb in iChat and I'll definetly be using it as my full time messenger application as soon as possible.

I don't know about anyone else but i'll definetly be buying my copy Leopard in the spring :)

Man of Honour
Was there any mention about iWork? I was under the impression that Apple intend to introduce a spreadsheet application in order to provide a viable replacement for Appleworks/Office.

Associate
WWDC is really aimed at developers and professionals... hence Leopard and Mac Pros. Expect consumer announcements like MacBooks and iWork/iLife later in the year.

Man of Honour
I had a quick look at the Leopard Sneak Peek on the Apple website.

That looks ******* awesome! I actually feel sorry for M$, Vista look years behind. :p

Soldato
You'd think by now they'd be able to get this right :mad:

Dropping frames, missing out chunks of dialogue... Just give us a proper download ffs!

Associate
There was talk about a spreadsheet application this time last year ... and it never happened, so who knows this time around.

iWork 07 will be released in January (hence the 07).

I don't see why Microsoft can't spend the money on a seriously good design team, as anyone knows that simplicity is best and M$ have cleary never listened to that, even in Vista they should have a nice thin horizontal bar across bottom, instead of the bulky, in your face thing thats there now ... It's there own fault really.

I was watching the keynote last night and again early this morning and it was fine :confused:

Man of Honour
BoomAM said:
No, im not.
If its aimed at 3D modelers / animators, why doesnt it have more memory? Why doesnt it have a better video card?
Both are required points in making the machine capable of those tasks.
Infact, all it appear to be good at in the regards, is the final rendering process. And no-ones gonna drop £1700 for a machine that cant do anything well before the final render.
Most 3D modelling / animation doesn't need that much graphics power. They tend to work in lower quality (even wireframe) until very late on, and if you do want the power, you pay for a Quadro FX.

Soldato
Berserker said:
Most 3D modelling / animation doesn't need that much graphics power. They tend to work in lower quality (even wireframe) until very late on, and if you do want the power, you pay for a Quadro FX.
Prehaps it depends on the software you use?
The one i messed around with a while back got quite a boost when i changed my video card.

Last edited:
Soldato
MagSafe said:
even in Vista they should have a nice thin horizontal bar across bottom, instead of the bulky, in your face thing thats there now ... It's there own fault really.

nice thin horizontal bar across the bottom?

You mean...THE START BAR!, the one that is thinner than a OS X dock?

:p

Rich

Suspended
Well I'm *still* waiting to watch the keynote, just keep getting the busy server message.

I'm unsure as to why they don't just let people download the keynote, then it would end up on torrent sites and free them up some major bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom