*** WWDC 2017 : 5th - 9th June ***

Soldato
9q0nHwO.jpg

Add to your calendar

Keynote

Monday 5th June (6pm UK Time)

How To Watch The Lifestream

Watching via iOS & macOS - Use Safari and visit: https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2017/
Watching on tvOS (Apple TV 4) - Download the Apple Events App from the tvOS App Store

What To Expect
With WWDC traditionally giving a first look at the next major releases of Apple Software the next versions of macOS 10.13 / iOS 11 / watchOS 4 / tvOS 11 are sure to be debuted and released in Beta to developers.

Possible Hardware Rumors

Refreshed MacBooks: New updated MacBooks and MacBook Pros featuring the latest Intel 'Kaby Lake' processors.

New 10.5" iPad Pro: New size featuring near bezel free design to replace current 9.7" version and to compliment the existing 12.9" version. Both will likely feature upgraded internal hardware.

New Magic Keyboard: According to this post: https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/31/new-macbook-ipad-magic-keyboard-wwdc/ filings made by Apple point to a new Magic Keyboard possibly being released.

Siri Speaker: Apples Google Home and Amazon Echo competitor. Hopefully featuring a screen of some sort and a heavily revised and much smarter version of Siri.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looking forward to this as well to see whats in store with new software.

My main hope is for a heavily revised and smarter version of Siri across all platforms. Siri on macOS is pretty pointless currently, I'd love to be able to control HomeKit devices from my Mac for instance along with having integration with other services such as Apple News would be great as well.
If rumours are to be believed and a Home Speaker is in the works then Siri will need to become smarter for that product to stand any chance of being a success in my view.

Hopefully the rumours about Amazon Prime Video coming to tvOS with a dedicated app would also be great. Would also like to see more UK content added such as catchup services (STV Player/ITV Hub, All4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play) all of which have iOS apps.

Soldato
OP
Just seen this: https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/31/new-macbook-ipad-magic-keyboard-wwdc/

Looks like a new Magic Keyboard could be inbound as well. As an iMac user it would be nice to have Touch Bar and hopefully Touch ID support on a iMac.
I'd imagine they'd take the opportunity to move to a butterfly mechanism with the keys as well like in the new MacBook and MacBook Pro's

Updated the first post as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I really like the look of iOS 11 on iPad the new multitasking looks great. The new iMac Pro looks fantastic in Space Grey, complete overkill for my requirements but very nice all the same.

Great to get Amazon Video coming to tvOS at long last, it's a pain having to Airplay content from iPhone/iPad.

I think I could be sold on a HomePod for my Birthday and Xmas this year.

Soldato
OP
Yes, and as I've got a MacBook, I'm used to it. It's slightly narrower and it sits flatter than my old keyboard which I realised today is about nine years old! I bought it when I first *ahem* used OS X and then as I bought Macs, I never used the supplied keyboards, just kept the original one. I think I've got two wired and one wireless keyboards that have never been out of their boxes!

Trying to justify the upgrade to both the full size keyboard and magic trackpad 2, getting a bit fed up replacing batteries. I really missed not having a full size number keypad as well when I switched to macOS back in 2013.

Think I'll hold off until I get into an Apple store and try it out.

Soldato
OP
Interesting!! Is the 27" cpu upgradeable? Also pcie ssd drive?

What about the 27"?

Saying that, my 2015 27" is showing no signs of age so I don't have any interest in upgrading it. It's still as rapid as the day I bought it.

I may be tempted down the line to replace it with an iMac Pro and sell my dual core server. I'd have a day to day computer and something powerful enough for a home VMWare workstation lab. Only shame is I wouldn't be able to install ESXi onto it...

It was noted that the choice of a Socketed/Modular CPU may have been forced on Apple by Intel, as iFixit haven't seen any Kaby Lake CPU's in a BGA package. I'm assuming BGA must be an integrated CPU/Mainboard similar to what Apple have used in previous generation iMac's.
I would wait on the iFixit teardown of the new 27" to confirm it, but I'd be really surprised if the CPU isn't upgradable in that as well.

The standard 2.5" SATA Drive is upgradable but you can't add a blade SSD due to the lack of a connector on the mainboard.

Soldato
OP
Interested to see if the CPU can also be upgraded. I've given up on all hope for system storage.

Yes it can. I watched this (rubbish) breakdown of the new 27". They get a bit confused when removing the mainboard but the CPU is socketed under a headsink just like in the 21".

The Hard Drive and SSD are also upgradable. Obviously it's not the simplest thing to open up, to actually do the work, but good to see there is some expandability in there with this new generation.

Will be interesting to see what the iMac Pro has in-store in December as Apple have said that even the RAM isn't user upgradable, meaning no RAM flap. Doesn't mean the RAM won't be if you take the screen off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom