*** WWDC 2017 : 5th - 9th June ***

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Is there a difference between the latest MacBook and the one before the WWDC, in terms of keyboard?
Yeah the 2017 rMB has the 2nd generation butterfly keyboard. The 2016 one had gen 1 keyboard.

Man of Honour
Ah, is that the same as on the first MacBook Pro with Touchbar?

One of the things I dislike most about my MacBook is the keyboard.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Ah, is that the same as on the first MacBook Pro with Touchbar?

One of the things I dislike most about my MacBook is the keyboard.
There are 2 generations of the butterfly keyboard: Gen 1 came out in 2015 (so with the original rMB and the MBP), Gen 2 came out in 2016, so the 2016 MBP range got them, but the 2016 rMB missed out. Now the 2017 rMB has the Gen 2 keyboard.

Hope that makes sense?

If you're saying you don't like your 2016 MBP keyboard, then you're out of luck, because that's Gen 2. If you're complaining about your 2016 rMB, then good, because it is Gen 1.

Man of Honour
There are 2 generations of the butterfly keyboard: Gen 1 came out in 2015 (so with the original rMB and the MBP), Gen 2 came out in 2016, so the 2016 MBP range got them, but the 2016 rMB missed out. Now the 2017 rMB has the Gen 2 keyboard.

Hope that makes sense?

If you're saying you don't like your 2016 MBP keyboard, then you're out of luck, because that's Gen 2. If you're complaining about your 2016 rMB, then good, because it is Gen 1.
I bought my MacBook in November as a refurb, I'm not a fan of the keyboard.

I much prefer the keyboard of the MacBook Pro I just returned to get the Kaby Lake one.

Commissario
It doesn't really feel any different to my MacBook which is Early 2016. If there's a difference, I can't tell but I've not put them next to each other to specifically compare.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Yeah not a huge difference, but consensus is that gen 2 is definitely better.

Man of Honour
The keys on my MacBook don't feel like they're moving wheras the keys on my now returned MacBook Pro Touch feel more like my older 2015 MacBook Pro.

Man of Honour
Just to clarify, you returned your 2016 MBP to get the Kaby Lake upgrade? Was it a recycle deal? Mind giving me an idea of what they gave you for the return?
Yes, I was within the 30 day return period. New Kaby Lake Pro has dispatched from China. :)

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Interested to see if the CPU can also be upgraded. I've given up on all hope for system storage.

Yes it can. I watched this (rubbish) breakdown of the new 27". They get a bit confused when removing the mainboard but the CPU is socketed under a headsink just like in the 21".

The Hard Drive and SSD are also upgradable. Obviously it's not the simplest thing to open up, to actually do the work, but good to see there is some expandability in there with this new generation.

Will be interesting to see what the iMac Pro has in-store in December as Apple have said that even the RAM isn't user upgradable, meaning no RAM flap. Doesn't mean the RAM won't be if you take the screen off.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is fine, but I think could be snappier on editing 4K video. There is also the 'new shiny thing' factor ;)
That is true. Not sure I'll bother upgrading mine, the new MacBook Pro should be powerful enough for my use so I may get an external 5k monitor if Apple release one.

Back
Top Bottom