*** WWDC Keynote 2019 ***

Soldato
I use Linux, MacOS and Windows every day so I'd want something that works well all on three. Right now 1Password fits the bill for me - it even does all the 2FA stuff for you so you don't have to type in codes from your phone. It also works with apps on my phone as well as websites.

Soldato
It's not a replacement password manager. It's just a method to log in to sites/apps without having to actually sign up.

I know that but I'm talking about the login method itself, I imagine if you sign in with your apple ID it will require something to authenticate such as unlocking your phone or using the fingerprint scanner on your Mac. That's fine if I'm using my Mac but if I'm using something else then I'm buggered (I have a Pixel 3 not an iPhone). With 1Password it's truly cross platform.

Soldato
I dropped 1Password a while ago. It was a great app but as above, I just used Mac and iOS stuff more and so started storing my passwords with apple.

If I ever need something for windows, which isn't very often, I just ask my iPhone to show my passwords and enter it manually.

Soldato
I use 1Password as well but I'm genuinely trying to think the last time I signed into anything when I wasn't using a Mac or iPhone and I'm struggling :)

Hehe, I guess if you use Apple equipment exclusively then great - I'm sure they'll integrate with the watch as well. With me it's more difficult as I prefer stock Android but iOS 13 is definitely moving in the right direction.

Soldato
Why are we taking about password managers, the Apple service is to replace the sign in with Facebook and google buttons.

It’s so you can signup/in without having to register separately. The whole selling point of apples version is that they don’t sell your data or serve you adverts across the internet for the privilege.

Soldato
Why are we taking about password managers, the Apple service is to replace the sign in with Facebook and google buttons.

It’s so you can signup/in without having to register separately. The whole selling point of apples version is that they don’t sell your data or serve you adverts across the internet for the privilege.

The reason I raised the password manager thing is that it has 2FA built into the app itself, I don't need anything extra to sign in when using 1Password because I registered the QR codes in the app itself beforehand. If I use Apple's service then I'd either need to be on my Mac or have an iPhone to hand to authenticate.

Soldato
I've begun to lose interest in these events a little of late, as development seems to have really plateaued and anything of significance that's new is often denied to the older generation hardware.

You'll be well impressed by their new monitor stand for £1000, coupled with a vesa mount needed for the stand at £200.
Quality purchases with innovation.

Soldato
Interested in running iOS apps on mac - does this mean i can use my mac to use any apps that are on my phone easier? Instagram would be amazing if so, getting insta on desktop is always a PITA - also makes browsing tinder easier for the singles out there :D

Soldato
Looks like the Apple Card is coming this month

Might not be anything that special in terms or rates compared to the competition if you shop around in the US, but they certainly nailed the activation UX thanks to having complete control over the hardware and software experience.

I wonder why it only says XS and XR. Is there a hardware limitation/upgrade on them that allows this?

Seems similar to the Airpods syncing. Surely it's just bluetooth or NFC and therefore available on previous models too?

Caporegime
How can they bring out a card that has absolutely no fees? No fees for foreign currency, no fees for going over your limit, no fees for not paying on time, etc. Is it all part of Apple's master plan to get everyone using it above all other cards and cash? Then once you see how convenient it all is, they slap on fees a few years down the line?

Soldato
In the US transaction fees the card providers charge the merchants are far higher then Europe, hence all the perks. In the EU they are heavily regulated and capped. The consumer is paying for it at the end of the day still as the fees are ultimately passed on my the retailer.

Soldato
I got my Apple Card on Friday, my titanium card gets here tomorrow morning. It took 1-2mins to sign up and have the card in my Apple Wallet ready to use. Interest rate is pretty shocking but I aren't planning on ever holding a balance on it so I don't mind.

I like that the card has no physical number, it's all on your iPhone and you can request new numbers whenever you like.

The only thing it's missing is Family integration so you can't have shared cards.

Caporegime
I really don't like the way Apple ties everything in to the iPhone. I want an Apple watch but I can't have one because I don't have an iPhone. And now this CC is only available to iPhone people?

Soldato
I really don't like the way Apple ties everything in to the iPhone. I want an Apple watch but I can't have one because I don't have an iPhone. And now this CC is only available to iPhone people?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to have an iPhone running iOS12.4. The wallet app isn't on iPad so you can't apply on that. I don't know why you'd want to get a card that has all the perks aimed at Apple Pay without an iPhone, you won't get the most out of it just using it to shop online, with the physical card, etc. Maybe they'll roll it out for people who have an Apple Watch and no iPhone.

I thought the watch could work without an iPhone now?

Soldato
Ok, so I'm talking crap about the Apple Card not being available on iPad. I wasn't running iOS12.4 :facepalm: I don't know if you can apply on iPad but you can use the Card on iPad.

I don't know if that will change with iOS 13 but I think you need an iPhone to set the watch up at least.
You're right, they do need an iPhone. I could have sworn that that had changed with the latest gen Watch.

Back
Top Bottom