1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** WWDC Keynote 2019 ***

Discussion in 'Apple Software' started by Feek, Jun 2, 2019.

1. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

Why would you want to use an Apple Watch without an iPhone, almost every feature except the time wouldn't work. Almost every feature needs data from the phone to work.

2. timmeh

Mobster

You can do more than you think without an iPhone connected to it (make calls, send messages, stream music, track workouts, use ApplePay, use Siri, etc). All you need is an active wifi connection.

3. b0rn2sk8

Mobster

The person wanted an Apple Watch but doesn't have an iPhone. Then someone suggested you didn't need a iPhone which is just categorically untrue. The two things are so tightly integrated it's not practical to use the watch without an iPhone.

There is one thing not having the phone connected for short periods of time but almost everything the Apple watch does needs an iPhone to manage it. All of those things you listed need the phone at some point:
    Apple Pay - needs the phone to add/remove cards
    Calls/Messages - needs an iPhone to set up, simshare or Apple ID to piggyback off
    Track Workouts - great but if you want to look at your data you need the phone via the health app (whats the point in tracking it if you cant see it).
    Stream Music - needs Apple Music, needs the phone to set up.
    Siri - Really...? About as useful as a chocolate teapot on the phone, its far worse on the watch.

4. timmeh

Mobster

I accepted that I was mistaken just a few posts after. You must have missed that part...
    Yes you need an iPhone to set it up, but you can switch to Android and still use the all but one of the features I listed.

5. timmeh

Mobster

My physical card arrived today and holding the phone next to the package to activate it didn't work at all. The customer service is really good, it instantly opens iMessage and you're chatting with someone in no time. I ended up solving it myself by trying to activate with my iPad. All you have to do is press activate, allow the Wallet app access to your location and it activates it. Simple. Now I get to look like a knob with a metal bank card...

6. ic1male

Caporegime

Albeit, a posh knob. :D

7. UberTiger

Mobster

A posh nob with figerprints all over his shiny bank card when he hands it over :D

I just ordered some sample metal business cards, they're nice and all, but they sure do show finger prints and marks easily compared to a normal matt laminate one. I guess you at least you can scrub them clean if they're metal :D

That must be integrated with the new iMessage for business service. Not noticed any UK companies using it yet. I really hope imessage goes cross platform so we have a feature rich cross platform competitor to What'sApp at some point.

8. UberTiger

Mobster

lol, Apple just released an 8 minute ASMR video of rain on their YouTube channel :D

9. timmeh

Mobster

Ha, I thought it’d be covered in fingerprints but it’s got a matte finish that doesn’t get any fingerprints on it. It will definitely get scratched up though, but when that happens you can just order a new one from your phone. :D

10. Feek

Commissario

Do catch up, that was nearly a week ago and there are four new ASMR videos. The rain one is actually quite relaxing ;)

11. ic1male

Caporegime

It should have been in 4K. But what the heck is SMR?

12. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Anyone got any September dates yet for the keynote?

13. ic1male

Caporegime

Tuesday 10th September is the leaked date. Nowt official yet.

14. LiE

Capodecina

I’ll be on a cruise ship in the med, should still be able to stream it on my phone :cool: