X-Wing

Soldato
Does anyone else here play X-Wing? It's a space combat game from Fantasy Flight. All the models are pre-painted (heresy!) but I can't stop collecting them. :o

Here's some pictures from our games:

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

And now with a play mat... :)

hf25EtA.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it's not a cheap game to get into. The smaller ships are around £10 each and the new capital ships go up to around £65! The mat is from a company called Gale Force 9. Lots of online shops in the UK stock them. Fantasy Flight are bringing out their own tiles to play on soon too.

I think you can have a decent game with just the starter box. Normal games are around 100 points a side, which will get you between three and eight ships. Imperial forces tend to have more ships as TIE Fighters are dirt cheap.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, Howlrunner is pretty much a no-brainer if you're going to take a TIE swarm. I tend to hang her back a little from the other TIEs so that she doesn't get caught at range 1.

Soldato
OP
It has two cards - one for th front and one for the rear, costing 50 & 40 points respectively. Not sure you can take just one half of it though. :p

Soldato
OP
It's not just you. The Star Trek ones are made by a different manufacturer and they aren't anywhere near as good.

That's a shame as I know people who prefer Star Trek: Attack Wing to X-Wing.

Soldato
OP
I'm quite taken with the Rebel and Imperial Aces packs and was wondering if adding them to the core game would work?

I'd only get a second starter set if you're going to be playing the game regularly. Personally, I like having a force of mostly X-Wings and TIE Fights for thematic reasons. The extra dice and movement rules are definitely useful though.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure yet. With X-Wing, I picked up a second starter set. I think that might be the way to go here but another starter set is expensive.

Soldato
OP
If you're not looking to get into serious competitive play, I'd pick up a couple of the smaller fighters for each side to give the game a bit of variety. Perhaps an A-Wing and B-Wing for the Rebels and a TIE Inceptor and a TIE Bomber for the Galactic Empire.

Competitive play is all about spamming the same ship over and over again, it seems. :)

Back
Top Bottom