• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1650 Pro and PSU question

Soldato
I'm looking at putting an X1650 Pro in the wife's machine. At the moment she is using an X700 Pro 128MB PCI-E. The PSU is an Antec 400W, but it's one of the older ones with just the 20pin power connector. This works fine for the X700 as it doesn't need much power. Is it the same for the X1650 Pro? I notice it doesn't need power directly into it - will a 20pin PSU supply enough juice to the PCI-E slot? Really haven't got the money for a new PSU as well right now.

No need to recommend other cards thanks - only interested in the X1650 Pro, for various reasons ;)

EDIT: Hmmm, just found a readme for the Diamond 1650Pro and it says it needs a 420W ATX 2.0 PSU :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Curio said:
I'm looking at putting an X1650 Pro in the wife's machine. At the moment she is using an X700 Pro 128MB PCI-E. The PSU is an Antec 400W, but it's one of the older ones with just the 20pin power connector. This works fine for the X700 as it doesn't need much power. Is it the same for the X1650 Pro? I notice it doesn't need power directly into it - will a 20pin PSU supply enough juice to the PCI-E slot? Really haven't got the money for a new PSU as well right now.

No need to recommend other cards thanks - only interested in the X1650 Pro, for various reasons ;)

EDIT: Hmmm, just found a readme for the Diamond 1650Pro and it says it needs a 420W ATX 2.0 PSU :(
The recommendations are always over stated - just to be on the very safe side of things. But i agree with the above poster, you shouldnt have any problems running a X1650pro on your PSU.

Man of Honour
Antec are also a decent brand when it comes to power supplied and their 400 Watt model will be vastly more powerful than a generic 400 (+12v power that counts). Ignore the 420 requirement as yours will exceed it, by a fair amount too most likely.

Man of Honour
It will be fine regardless in your case (npi), that is a decent PSU and not a demanding build, but remember that a 400 Watt PSU doesn't mean 400 Watts supplied to the components, if you actually needed to sustain a load of 400 Watts and assuming good efficiency and excellent distribution and stability on the +12v rail(s) a 600 Watt PSU (or higher) would be required (though something like the Corsair HX 520 might manage it I suppose).

They (PSUs) also lose power and stability as they age so it really wouldn't be a good idea to push one too hard. Those calculators also forget the +12v strength and the distribution of power on the rails in their recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom