X2 4200+ Hot Hot Hot!

Soldato
Had this installed for a week or so now and im still getting high temps according to pc probe.

Its cooled with a freezer 64 pro and has as5 applied. When i was playing quake 4 with the dual core patch it reached 60C. Typing this means its at 39C

Im wondering if the probe is accurate as my old SD3700+ temps ( and chipset temps ) shot up when i added a second 7800GT

Any ideas?

Associate
The dual cores do run hot and a lot hotter than single core. It sounds like bad airflow though if a graphics card made such a big difference.

Might be worth using a cooler that pushes hot air from vga cards out the ack of the case through a pci slot

Soldato
OP
Airflow isnt brilliant as the 2nd video card blocks it quite a bit. The cooler was reseated last week so that must be ok.

Ive got 3 fans taking air out of the case, 2 at the back and one at the top. ive got one of those akasa pci slot blower things i can try but i might temporarilly tke one of the gfx cards out and see if it makes a difference.

If it does then i will be looking to swap the 7800GTs for a single 7900GT.

Associate
my 4200 gets up to 49 when im encoding video for about an hour or more, im using a zalman CNPS7700-ALCU, but i dont have the two graphics cards like you so not sure if that would push it up the extra 10deg or not.

Associate
Does sound hot, ironically according to reviews you've not helped matters by using AS5. The default stuff is better ( by about 2degC ) on the Freezer 64.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, im wondring if i damaged the freezer when i switched mobos. Im getting random asus probe errors when playing games when fan speed drops to zero.

Is it worth switching to the stock cooler to see of its any cooler?

Back
Top Bottom