X34a owners desk advice!

Associate
So I've just spent over 3500 on my new ryzen 7/1080ti build with the X34A! Left me with little budget for a desk, so scouring eBay for cheap but efficient options.

I've never had such a big monitor before, would the following desk be suitable to have the tower on the right side (while sitting at the desk) with the mouse pad next to that then the monitor with the keyboard in front? (keyboard is the Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 w/ the wrist rest pad on the front)

The desk: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-Wa...897269?hash=item33c9f966b5:g:XB0AAOSwnH1WZZ9n

Just checking it'll all fit nicely?

Cheers

Associate
NOT an owner but I have planned large screens out on mine -I think you might be pushing it for depth, and for a little extra freedom or a less closed in feeling you might find the tower better placed the other side to you mouse. My desk is 75 cm deep which puts me at what I think is about the right distance for that pixel density when I sit at it. That said there is room on mine for something even bigger or for a cat to insist on sleeping between the keyboard & screen or some snacks .....

Associate
OP
Appreciate the input, the tower needs to go on the right side as my case has a large glass window to display it. I do wish they could go the other way round.

I could look into wall mounting the monitor if anyone knows of any cheap/reliable wall or desk mounts that work with the x34a as i'd prefer to keep the depth at 60cm if possible.

Associate
If you are the tidy non-cluttering kind you could well be fine, around my keyboard I have a phone, headset, booze,a laptop, a USB Dyson style deskfan, some IOT dev kits, an xbox controller & some cables. The phone and the fan are the only things threatened by the arrival of a larger screen

Associate
Congratulations on your build! I would measure out 60cmx120cm in a corner of any room, and visualize your desk space, then measure out your tower, and monitor stand, keyboard etc. You can use objects as markers if that helps.

If you can afford a £100 more, and don't mind a bit of DIY, you can get a solid wood butcher block from Ikea called Hammarp in either oak or beech. They're untreated, so needs light sanding, oil treatment, and adding the legs, but they're very long, with decent depth: 65cmx194cm.

Associate
I tried having my X34 on a 80cm deep desk and it still felt too near so in the end I mounted it to the wall.

If you want a wall bracket just google 'stealth monitor brackets' and those are the sort of thing I got. I've had mine about 6 months and had no problems, I think I paid about £15.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replies. I'm limited by space a bit hence trying to keep the desk as small as possible without being too close and ruining the immersion.

The worktops are just too big.

Aberfala, reckon 60cm deep would be fine with one of those wall mounts? Is the x34a 100mm vesa? Cheers

Associate
My desk is 60cm deep and whilst I think it's ok for viewing distance (maybe my eyes are bad? :p) I do think the stand hogs a lot of space. Wall mounting would be fine I'd imagine.

Associate
OP
My desk is 60cm deep and whilst I think it's ok for viewing distance (maybe my eyes are bad? :p) I do think the stand hogs a lot of space. Wall mounting would be fine I'd imagine.

What width is your desk? That's the next factor as my keyboard is 48cm and my mat is 41cm then the case about 20 odd cm wide.

Hmm struggling here with a suitable desk option lol

Anyone have a link to a wall mount that will work with this monitor / size? Every one i seem to find the plate does 100mm vesa but also 200mm so it's too big I'd assume.

** would this work; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-TV-WA...3?hash=item2336c5791f:g:tEAAAOxyLm9TD2hj#rwid

or this one has more points for interset or cavity fixings; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-x-100...084747?hash=item3cfeb185cb:g:XkMAAOSw9N1VqRWE

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Cheers for all the replies. I'm limited by space a bit hence trying to keep the desk as small as possible without being too close and ruining the immersion.

Aberfala, reckon 60cm deep would be fine with one of those wall mounts? Is the x34a 100mm vesa? Cheers
Worktops are 60cm deep ;)

My Asus 34" ROG swift monitor fitted to a Ergotron MX Desk Mount with LCD Arm attached to my 60cm worktop..

Associate
OP
Looks good mate, spent a bit too much today for that though! Will find a wall mount bracket I guess.

hah and just after saying that i found one on eBay for £55, yoink!

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
What width is your desk? That's the next factor as my keyboard is 48cm and my mat is 41cm then the case about 20 odd cm wide.

Hmm struggling here with a suitable desk option lol

Well it's at one end of a 2m worktop from IKEA, which is what most people seem to do :D

Still, I don't have my pc on the desk anyway as its a non windowed case, but I may look to change that in the near future.

Associate

Yeah 60cm desk will be fine, the one I use now is that size.

Associate
The Ergotron above is a good stand, I have one but don't use it as I find it's maximum height with the X34 is a bit low for me.

Also my mount is so shallow the screen is only 13cm from the wall at it furthest point.

I'd stick a link to the one I have but given OC sell stands I don't want to fall foul of their no competitor posts rule. Googling 'stealth vesa mount' should point you in the right direction.

Associate
OP
Can PM me a link if you don't mind? As I did google a bit and struggled to find one I felt suitable.

If the Ergotron is no use for me I'll just sell it on, easy get my money back. :)

Soldato
I wall mounted mine. I never move my monitor, so I just worked out the correct height and banged it up. Works perfectly. The Ergotron is a nice stand, but for me I felt it was pointless as I never have the need to move my screen. Plus I like the floating nature of it on the wall without a stand.

Back
Top Bottom