X370 to X470 upgrade

Soldato
Did anyone make the upgrade from an X370 to an X470 mobo?

Did you notice any improvements with getting your ram to work at rated speeds and even higher?

I'm thinking of upgrading the X370 Prime Pro to the X470 Prime or the CH7.

Soldato
OP
Nice middle ground: The Strix X470-F Gaming. My 3200MHz Teamgroup dropped straight in with DOCP settings. Not attempted to run it faster. Price about 170-180 at present.
Couldn't see the advantage in the extra £££ for the Crosshair.

Aesthetically the Strix X470-F Gaming looks beautiful.

Do you know if the BIOS has options for Core Performance Enhancer?

I am of the understanding the CH7 Hero has level which you can set.

Soldato
OP
Strix has CPB settings of Disabled or Auto, and PBO options of Enabled, Disabled or Auto.
Afaik, the PBO menu only appeared with the last BIOS version- don't recall seeing it on the version it came with. Perhaps more options will be added in future?
There is a mode select option- but only one mode at present- Mode 0.

From the specs on OCUK, the Strix has slightly better RAM support than the Prime Pro. PPro has better onboard sound, but I send everything to an outboard DAC via USB anyway so that made no odds to me.
I'm feeling my way along so far with this setup, and so far (barring a couple of teething problems in the first couple of days) it's been rock-solid.
No expert with these new Ryzens yet, but just reporting my experiences!

Cool.

Thanks for that. The first part about PBO etc... sounds the same as my X370 Pro.

I'll need to think on this. Because spending £200 on average for a new mobo for slightly higher ram speed and maybe more MHz from the CPU my not be worth it.

All this has come about mostly due to my 8 Pack ram not being able to run at DOCP on my current board.

I've tried everything for the last 4 weeks even RMA'd the ram but the returned ram still wont run with out freezing at 3200MHz.

I have to run it at 3133MHz.

Problem is things like this nag. Only so long I can ignore until I finally do something about it. I'm also thinking is my x370 board getting the most out of the 2700x in terms of it's auto overclocking features.

I'm seeing all core boosts of 4GHz and I suspect single core boosts just under 4.2GHz (4.16GHz)

Back
Top Bottom