X470 or X570 for 3900x

Associate
hi there guys,

During the past few weeks, ive been looking into a new motherboard for my 3900x. Its currently running in a Gigabyte X370 K5 - which isnt ideal, as I know the VRM on that board arent great. However, I wanted to split-up the cost. So I brought the CPU first and figured ill look into the motherboard later on (over the xmas peroid).

For weeks now I cant decide what to do; go for a X470 or X570 board. So any advice would be great!

The two boards ive been looking at are;

1, ROG Crosshair VII Hero (X470),

2, Gigabyte AORUS PRO (X570),

Other suggestions are welcomed!

They are priced around the same, have similar features but one features a fan. It seems that on X570 you cant get away from that fan. Reading around, some said its not a problem, or others saying it can be annoying (from whine noise, etc.) - although not sure if those fan might of had a problem, or things are better with fan curves. It doesnt help that there is a forum post here saying people having problems with the Gigabyte X570 boards. I really like very quiet pcs, currently have some 140mm at 500rpm or less.

From past experience, ive seen a couple of MB fans fail or be really noisey - the reason why Im not keen on them. However if going for X470 means no PCIe4.0, which not sure how useful that would be. Maybe get a PCIe 4.0 m.2 later? although pcie3.0 are much cheaper. Is there much of difference?

I dont think the VRM issue is a problem with either boards, which should allow me to not to worry about the motherboard - maybe see some higher boost clocks?

I also like the possibily of SLI in the future, and why Ive picked those types of boards. Not exactly what im planning on doing, but should another 1080ti come this way, it will be nice to have a MB to allow it to work together.

Flash-back etc. isnt a problem, as I have a 1700 lying around, and is another reason to get a new board, so can get another system working (put the 1700 back into the K5 (better suited for it), the 3900x into a new board).

For me, money wise I dont want to go over £300 - already seem expensive to me. I was hoping prices might come down soon. Ideally the Gigabyte X570 exterme would be half in price - that thing costs more than any ryzen cpu you can stick into it!

ps. I am also running four sticks of Corsair LPX 3200Mhz memory, but at 2933Mhz on my X370 board. I did hope to run them at 3200Mhz on a new board, but was unsure if four sticks at 3200Mhz is possible (maybe my X370 is the problem?).

A big thanks for any advice!

If you need a new board and they are around the same price then it's simple, get the X570. 4x 3200Mhz shouldn't be an issue, memory compatibility with the new 3000 series CPU's is much better, I'm running 4x 3600Mhz/Cl16 no problem, and others are running 3800Mhz+.

Currently on Gigabte X570 Aorus Pro, on 4x8Gb 3800C16 and 1900 FCLK, 3800X on 1usmus Power Profile stable.
How are you finding the PCH fan? any noise? any problems? thanks

For £20-£30 extra I personally would go for the MSI unity followed by the Taichi which is in the same price bracket as the Unity.
What does the MSI unity extra for the money?

Don't assume you won't find the fan a problem, having a 30mm fan on my X299 Micro ATX 2 is annoying. PC's are not ultra quiet machines, and small fans are the worst.
I agree, and the reason I was worried about it; why I was considering X470. The guys here suggested it not as big as issue as I first thought? I would prefer to go to the X570 Xtreme (so no fan) but I cant justify that sort-of money. The MB is even more than the 3950x!

Back
Top Bottom