X570 Aorus Pro, USB/device disconnection killed ALL SATA devices

Associate
Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570, AMD 5800X, Corsair 650W PSU, GTX1060, 32gb, M.2 Corsair M600 Pro, Samsung 500gb SSD, Samsung 2tb SSD, WDC 2tb HDD. Win1020H2. Only a few weeks old, been plagued with USB disconnection issues since it was built that frequently take out the NIC as well, and sometimes (rarely) cause a RAIDPORT reset.

I see AMD posted that they have a fix for the USB/device disconnection issue - great as it's been annoying me, but I've been able to work around as above.

Tonight while gaming, I got some device-disconnected sounds which I just sighed at as I've gotten a bit used to them. Then, I noticed one of my SSDs had frozen at 100% utilization with 0kb being transferred. Bit strange, so powered it off. Since then, my 2TB SSD, my 500gb SSD and 2TB HDD are dead to it - they don't even show in the BIOS. Have reloaded all BIOS defaults just in case something got corrupted in there, no joy.

Popped them in a USB caddy on my laptop, only the 2TB SSD is showing any content and it looks OK. The other 2 are showing a status of "Dynamic" and "Invalid".

Somehow, this event managed to destroy 2 out of the 3 SATA disks, and the x570 won't even recognise ANY of them any more.

I can't imagine that a BIOS fix is going to bring these drives back from the dead. The laptop with the USB caddy is reporting them as "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". The X570 Win10 tho, despite the BIOS not recognising them, is actually inviting me to initialise them in Windows!

Given the fix for the USB issues, I'm debating whether to wait for the fix (April tho!!!) or return the board and get a different make. Kinda hard to have any kind of faith in it right now.

The C drive was M.2 and it's fine, so the machine still works... but ffs.... Crap you really don't need with a new build.

What you reckon - new board totally, take off, nuke the site from orbit?

Got the data back using ldmtool on ubuntu (of course it'll read MS' own format, when Windows itself won't....), but... RMA or not? Can I ever trust it again?

Last edited:
Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570, AMD 5800X, Corsair 650W PSU, GTX1060, 32gb, M.2 Corsair M600 Pro, Samsung 500gb SSD, Samsung 2tb SSD, WDC 2tb HDD. Win1020H2. Only a few weeks old, been plagued with USB disconnection issues since it was built that frequently take out the NIC as well, and sometimes (rarely) cause a RAIDPORT reset.

I see AMD posted that they have a fix for the USB/device disconnection issue - great as it's been annoying me, but I've been able to work around as above.

Tonight while gaming, I got some device-disconnected sounds which I just sighed at as I've gotten a bit used to them. Then, I noticed one of my SSDs had frozen at 100% utilization with 0kb being transferred. Bit strange, so powered it off. Since then, my 2TB SSD, my 500gb SSD and 2TB HDD are dead to it - they don't even show in the BIOS. Have reloaded all BIOS defaults just in case something got corrupted in there, no joy.

Popped them in a USB caddy on my laptop, only the 2TB SSD is showing any content and it looks OK. The other 2 are showing a status of "Dynamic" and "Invalid".

Somehow, this event managed to destroy 2 out of the 3 SATA disks, and the x570 won't even recognise ANY of them any more.

I can't imagine that a BIOS fix is going to bring these drives back from the dead. The laptop with the USB caddy is reporting them as "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". The X570 Win10 tho, despite the BIOS not recognising them, is actually inviting me to initialise them in Windows!

Given the fix for the USB issues, I'm debating whether to wait for the fix (April tho!!!) or return the board and get a different make. Kinda hard to have any kind of faith in it right now.

The C drive was M.2 and it's fine, so the machine still works... but ffs.... Crap you really don't need with a new build.

What you reckon - new board totally, take off, nuke the site from orbit?

Got the data back using ldmtool on ubuntu (of course it'll read MS' own format, when Windows itself won't....), but... RMA or not? Can I ever trust it again?
Unplug pc from wall take out cmos battery leave out for ten mins then put battery back in and restart pc see if that fixes the sata ports

Aye, worth a try I guess. Strange that the two USB AHCI controllers have also gone offline and won't come back. Think I might try a re-flash of BIOS, full clean re-install and see if they come to life. If they don't, then it's clearly dead in that respect.

CMOS out for a few hours, back in, defaults loaded. Full re-install of windows. All drivers. Still the two USB ports are showing dead. SSDs still not recognised.

Back goes the motherboard.

FFS... :(

Nope, no RAID config at all. 3 seperately sized drives.

At least I was able to read them in linux - Windows doesn't want to know tho !

Since 15th of February. Had the USB issues, but was waiting for that to get fixed. Looks like it killed itself instead as it got progressively worse with the USBs disappearing, culminating in the drives popping the other day.

Since 15th of February. Had the USB issues, but was waiting for that to get fixed. Looks like it killed itself instead as it got progressively worse with the USBs disappearing, culminating in the drives popping the other day.
Yeh i read youd had problems from the start strange ive built 3 x570 e boards all elite and not had a issue as of yet whats the rest of your specs

Aye, a mate of mine at work has the same motherboard, but with the 5950, he's not had any trouble at all, not even the USB disconnects. Was hoping it was just that issue that AMD reckon they've now gotten to the bottom of, but nah.. this is way beyond that. Wrecking my storage was the last straw, and if it won't even recognise the ports on a clean install, it has to be the board.... :(

go direct with RMA with gigabyte , link the forum thread from here in the email. should get seen to pretty quick. Unlike others, motherboards are repaired in the UK , if new board then they'll dispatch it pretty quickly. If not, forum rep does a good job keeping an eye on things

@GIGA-Man

normally you go through resellers for rma but covid has really hit customer services everywhere

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS

Mate has built a few of those for people and never had a problem. He reckons none have hit the USB disconnection issue, but we'll see...

Back
Top Bottom