X570 cooling

Associate
I had been planning Intel for my new watercooled gaming PC but there seems good reasons to switch to AMD so I started some research. I immediately saw that a lot of X570 motherboards have a fan on the chipset. I definitely don't want that. The fanless ones tend to be in the higher price range and I guess they rely on big heatsinks. Do these still tend to run hot?

I had read many comments about not needing watercooling for the chipset but it seems to me if the X570 is hot enough to need a fan on some motherboards, surely it gets hot enough to benefit from watercooling in a watercooled PC. I notice that a few of the manufacturers have top of the range motherboards which include a monoblock for CPU and chipset. But only for Intel. I know that AMD CPU are more power efficient, but again if some motherboards need chipset fans then why not do a monoblock version for AMD too?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments. I'm building my first watercooled PC and I think I got lured by the recommendations for i9 10900K and then I saw the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme waterforce motherboard and in spite of the price got myself planning the best system I could build. Then came Rocket Lake and Z590 but I have been turned off by the rumours/reviews and so started looking at AMD and when I saw the chipset fanskinks I thought WTF! So if I go AMD then it will probably be with the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme with its passive heatsink for the chipset - I think fitting a waterblock would be overkill.

The remaining question is choice of CPU. Considering the other things I'll be buying, a 5800X seems comparatively cheap. But when I'm committed to paying thousands, I always think its not a good idea by saving a few hundred unless I genuinely don't need extra features. My PC is for gaming and e-mail/browsing with maybe a bit of video editing, but just basic. So it would seem that I don't need a 5900X but...

It's all academic anyway because I can't finish my PC without a new top of the range GPU. I have lots more time to read CPU reviews.

Back
Top Bottom