X670/Ryzen - can't get this to work.

Associate
Help! Trying to help a friend build their 1st PC:

* Gigabyte gigabyte x670 aorus elite)
* AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8 Core
* G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000

Now on a 2nd motherboard, which is also behaviing exactly like the first, in that:

* Fans do not spin at all (neither CPU nor case, which are a mixture of PWM and not)
* Getting into the BIOS is extremely flaky - often pressing <del> does nothing at all.
* Can't get it to boot from a USB stick to install W11 (I know the stick is OK, it's booted in other machines). The BIOS sees the UEFI partition, but it just cycles.
* Can't update the bios (it's F10, tried F30). We managed to get it recognised in the bios Q-Flash, but it hangs/reboots, but the update doesn't take.
* Have tried resetting the CMOS.

At a loss as to what to try next. Seems a bit unlikely that *2* motherboards have the same issue (though the fan thing seems odd). Memory? Any BIOS settings that need to be adjusted?

So to follow up on some of the questions (thanks for the feedback):

* They're 2 completely separate motherboards (Different vendors, 1st one was returned)
* I'm physically there (it's round the corner) and it's been me trying to get into bioses and the like
* Yes, it's minimal (no GPU, just the on-board graphics).

I've built PCs myself, but not for a number of years; Starting to think that unless this particular board is a lemon, it must be one of the other components (though the fan behaviour puzzles me).

Memory? Does that seem likely? It didn't seem to be particularly bleeding-edge for DDR5, but I'm no expert..

Back
Top Bottom