x670e recommendations

Associate
Hi All,

Currently have an RMA open to return my TUF Gaming X670E-Plus due to a strange bug when doing "Save & Exit" in the bios can anyone recommend another board? I'm tempted to just grab another one of the same. The ASUS PRIME X670E-PRO is £30 more but looks like the same board. I did like the look of the Tomahawk board but the reviews say it's audio is not as good.

I want to stick with x670e just for Gen 5 on M.2 and PCI-E

I have an 7800x3d and 32GB G Skill Trident Z5 Neo (2 X 16)

Any recommendations?

MSI X670E Gaming Plus is a bit cheaper than the TUF, but likely worse audio than the Tomahawk.

If you're an audiophile I'd expect you're much better off with a separate soundcard as said above.

On paper, a board like the Strix X670E-F has superior audio to both of those boards and includes an integrated amp and rear spdif, but I wouldn't want to pay £100 for it..

Genuine question - are DAC really so good or is a high level sound chip really necessary? I've been using Nvidia HDMI Audio for years with no complaints.

As for the 870 boards there's not a lot of detail released yet only ASUS and Gigabyte have shown their full line ups (which are now on their websites). I believe the only other companies that will have boards on release day (beginning of October as the review embargo lifts 30th September) are Asrock and MSI. From what I have seen some of the boards aren't worth the cost (eg only one pcie5 M2) and while they are all better than x670, I'm not sure any additional cost over x670 is worth it for the extra features

Depends on how much they will cost. For example when the Gigabyte Aorus elite x670 was released it was around £350, but its only £220 now. I expect the 870's to be £350ish again

Genuine question - are DAC really so good or is a high level sound chip really necessary? I've been using Nvidia HDMI Audio for years with no complaints.
If you have quality speakers / headphones you want a one of the above the difference is massive imo . There's no point in having a decent sound card while using budget speakers as they will be limited.

My experience.

Used onboard sound and kept upgrading my speakers over time from £20 budget to £50 creative speakers, while the sound was ok I always fancied a sound card to see if it was worth. Bought a creative x fi extreme gamer and it Certainly made a difference using the £50 speakers.

So next time I wanted to upgrade my sound I purchased £250 Logitech Z5500 speakers and wow what a massive difference quality speakers made. I could hear sounds and clarity that I couldn't on the cheaper speakers and so could the whole street as they could pump out the volume.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom