Xbox 360 + Logitech Z-640

Associate
Hey all,

I have a set of Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers and was wandering if this adapter from logitech would be enough for me to use them on my 360.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10050

If not please could someone point me in the right direction!
Im currently using the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable through the scart adapter, Soon to be using a VGA Adapter to use on my Samsumg TFT Monitor.

Regards
Jamie

Soldato
hmmm that could be a cheap alternative for my 5.1 setup, until i make my mind up about buying that new logisetup, only problem would be i'd have to unplug it from my soundcard everytime

Soldato
Unless I'm being really dense, that's just a phono-stereo -> 3xminijack converter.

Is there a setting on the speakers which lets you put a stereo signal through all the speakers if you only have 1 lead plugged in? If so you can pick up a phono -> minijack convertor in a famous high street electrical parts shop for about £4 :)

*edit*
Hang on, it says you can plug in the RCA phono plugs into the Z-640 and then upmix it to 6 channels through the speakers which is exactly what that plug is effectively doing!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have the same 3 leads as the picture of the adapter. Is there a proper name for that sort of adapter cause getting it from a local store would be a lot easier :) Thanks for your help

Jamie

Caporegime
da_mic_1530 said:
hmmm that could be a cheap alternative for my 5.1 setup, until i make my mind up about buying that new logisetup, only problem would be i'd have to unplug it from my soundcard everytime

Yeah I did that but it was annoying to split the channels to my pc and xbox. The sound on both was then poor.

Associate
OP
Hmm can't find this adapter anywhere unless i ship it form the US :(
Is there any other way i could do it? I have the usual PC surround sound speaker cables the Black Green and Orange.

*Also it apparently came with a game adapter but i can't find it :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Try running some sound through your speakers with only 1 lead plugged in from your PC, i.e. just leave the Green ones in. From what I've read the sound is then played through all the speakers, can you check whether this is the case?

If it is, then you can get one of these

1218i05oo.jpg

Which will let you plug in the phono leads from the Xbox cable to your speakers. It's £1.59 at a the shop I referred to earlier :)

Caporegime
There's no way to do it without losing atleast one channel or dual channel of speakers. The only way is to unplug on connector to your soundcard and split it to your xbox audio leads. I did this for 3 or 4 weeks then had enough of losing quality in both instances. I flogged my old set of speakers and brought a newer set with optical to connect my 360.

Massive difference, just getting the sound through the center speaker was bugging me and losing the center speaker to my pc was also a bind.

All my connectors for the split came from a well known electronics company, Ocuk dont sell the connectors but they sell PC mobo's so I cant mention them.

All the bits cost me less than a tenner. If you want the links a kind overclocker provided me with mail me :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help guys :) Ill start saving up for a better pair of speakers, although a nice LCD TV is first on the list! Anyone recommend me a decently priced pair of speakers that could be used for the xbox 360?

Jamie

Caporegime
Of course but what do you call decent? ;)

I got the logitech 5400 system and its the nuts. The 5500's are slightly better and £60 more, the control box also looks better on the 5500's. The subs on these are huge though.

I cant describe how good the 360 sounds on the set up.

Back
Top Bottom