Xbox 360 or ps3

Associate
Yesterday I got my first RROD on my xbox 360 which was then followed by another 10 mins later and another not long after that one. So it's safe to say my xbox is on it's last legs, which isn't bad considering i bought it a few months after the 360 was released.

I was looking for another 360 but I noticed that the ps3 is the same price as a 360 now so I was thinking about switching sides. I bought a 360 because I preferred the exclusives but now it seems like the ps3 has the edge in exclusives. I haven't had a playstation since the original so I'm unsure on what they are like now compared to a 360.

You hear a lot about how the cross platforms games are often worse on the ps3, so are they really that bad or is it just a few games?

Also I use my 360 a lot for video services like sky player and netflix etc, so how is that on the ps3?

So what would you guys advise I do, stick with 360 or go ps3?

Associate
well i yhave both, had the 360 first, but got a ps3 to see what there like. Xbox 360 is wayy better online, features, user interface etc imo. graphics n stuff are all pretty similar.

Id stick wth the 360 tbh, overall its better. IMO that is.

AGD

AGD

Soldato
As far as I know, there is no sky player on ps3 so if that is important to you, then stick with the 360.

Man of Honour
If you don't have a blu-ray player, I would opt for PS3 purely for that reason. Almost everything else is negligible in value or debatable.

I bought a PS3 around Christmas time and think it's great.

Caporegime
If you want to play online with friends primarily I would probably choose the 360. If you're only going to be playing single player, or online but without friends then I'd get a PS3. Less of the PS3 exclusives make their way to PC.

Associate
OP
If you want to play online with friends primarily I would probably choose the 360. If you're only going to be playing single player, or online but without friends then I'd get a PS3. Less of the PS3 exclusives make their way to PC.

I usually just play singleplayer games on the console and MP on pc. The ps3 seems to have more of the games I'm interested in such as god of war, infamous, and heavy rain where as the 360 exclusives like gears and halo have never really been my type of game. The ones that are like mass effect end up going cross platform anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning more towards ps3 as it would be nice for a change and to finally have a blu ray player. I was thinking of picking up a older model 2nd hand, do they have any issues like the 360 or are they ok?

Associate
Sky player is not available on PS3 so if you use that a lot stick with x360. I bought a PS3 in August for blu ray and have no games for it anymore. I much prefer the 360 in every way.

Caporegime
I usually just play singleplayer games on the console and MP on pc. The ps3 seems to have more of the games I'm interested in such as god of war, infamous, and heavy rain where as the 360 exclusives like gears and halo have never really been my type of game. The ones that are like mass effect end up going cross platform anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm leaning more towards ps3 as it would be nice for a change and to finally have a blu ray player. I was thinking of picking up a older model 2nd hand, do they have any issues like the 360 or are they ok?

I wouldn't risk buying an older model unless it's a second hand slim, or the store give you a warranty. I wouldn't bother taking the risk on a second hand fat PS3 from eBay or similar, it may break and if that happens you'll be out of pocket. I don't think they're notoriously unreliable, but like anything they don't last forever and the slim models are much more reliable. Like the above poster says, Sky Player isn't on Playstation 3 so if that's a deciding factor then you'd be better with the 360. It does have 4OD, iPlayer and ITV Player (lol) if you like any of those, also you can get Netflix and Lovefilm on it as well. Not sure if it still works, but you could use TV Catchup with the Playstation 3 browser too.

At the end of the day though it's primarily going to be a gaming device and you have to decide which console will be best suited to you based on the games. The old cross platform being rubbish on PS3 is all but a myth these days, it may have been true much earlier in the generation, but now the majority of titles are pretty much identical across both platforms. I have both, both have their pluses and minuses, I do prefer online gaming on my Xbox 360, though that's only because the majority of people on OcUK play the multiplayer games on the 360. For me the PS3 has had the best exclusives, but that's just my personal opinion, and games such as L.A Noire and Dead Space 2 that come on multiple disks for the 360 fit easily onto a single Blu-Ray which is another reason why I buy games like that on the PS3 as opposed to 360.

Last edited:
Soldato
All it says to me is that you wasted your money on a PS3 when you clearly only needed a 360. :confused:

I didn't have a blu-ray player and the uncharted series is pretty good, I think it's worth what I paid but I've had my usage from it, I never touch it now unless I'm watching movies, whereas I play my 360 at least a couple of times a week

Caporegime
I didn't have a blu-ray player and the uncharted series is pretty good, I think it's worth what I paid but I've had my usage from it, I never touch it now unless I'm watching movies, whereas I play my 360 at least a couple of times a week

That's fair enough.

To be honest I use my PS3 far more for watching movies than I do for gaming. I find that the PS3 upscales DVD's better than my 360 does, so it gets used a lot for watching movies on Blu Ray and DVD. I tend to buy my single player games on PS3 and I try to get the multiplayer version on whichever platform is popular with the people on here, which traditionally has been the 360. :)

Soldato
I moved from 360 to PS3 around the time they brought out Kinect and haven't looked back. Can't say that I really miss any of the xbox exclusives either to be honest.

PS3 is good as a media server, it doesn't have sky player though :( it does have netflix, blu ray and some great exclusives - I'd advise you to have a change and go with the PS3.

Soldato
I have both consoles and use my PS3 almost exclusively as a media player. Bluerays, Netflix and streamed from my NAS. It being able to play games is just a bonus I haven't used yet.

Associate
OP
What I'm gathering from you guys is that ps3 is better for singleplayer and as a media centre which is what I'm looking for in a console. So thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom