Xbox One power options

Soldato
Was looking through the settings and realised I could get it to turn on the TV on power on and turn off the TV on power off (I've only had it since release). Really like this but it doesn't go to the correct hdmi input on power on. My Sky box manages to turn on the TV and switch to hdmi1 so am assuming it's possible with the Xbox. Any ideas?

Also on a side note where has the option to quickly resume games gone? It's not where it was and I want to disable it.

Xbox One doesn't support HDMI-CEC which I believe is what you want for it to auto-switch to the right HDMI port. Strange omission I admit, not sure if it's a hardware requirement or it can be patched in.

Also the quick resume options I think were amalgamated into being a standard feature of instant-on mode in one of the updates, no way now to disable it independently like before AFAIK.

Surely that's a tv option and not an Xbox option

Device has to tell the TV to switch over HDMI.

Last edited:
The Xbox One doesn't do power on commands of CEC (command channel on HDMI). The power on options are for the IR Blaster in the Kinect, or for a separate IR Blaster if you do not have a Kinect.

Is there any reason you couldn't swap HDMI cables round? If the Sky box can change, then can't it change to HDMI2 and leave the Xbone as default on HDMI1?

Hmm, I suppose for this to work though, you'd have to make sure it's on HDMI1 when you turn the TV off? Or does it always go to antenna or something on switch on?

Would a decent HDMI switch solve it? Plug all devices into it and then only use 1 permanent HDMI socket on the TV?

My understanding is if you get the right switch it will detect which device is sending a signal most recently and use that one, slightly different to CEC which is actively controlling the TV input.

Only a thought, not sure if it would work.

Get an amplifier and plug all hdmi devices into that? Not the cheapest solution i admit. FWIW my sky box does turn the tv on but doesnt select the correct input from my amp.

I've have the same sort of annoyances. I wondered if it was just my TV that didn't work out to switch to HDMI, rather than a fault of the Xbox itself.

It also annoys me when I turn the xbox off to watch some TV and the xbox turns my TV off. Why can't it just know what I want to do!? ;)

I've have the same sort of annoyances. I wondered if it was just my TV that didn't work out to switch to HDMI, rather than a fault of the Xbox itself.

It also annoys me when I turn the xbox off to watch some TV and the xbox turns my TV off. Why can't it just know what I want to do!? ;)

Thats why i turned hdmi control off on my ps4, most of the time when finished on the console i would then watch tv.

Would a decent HDMI switch solve it? Plug all devices into it and then only use 1 permanent HDMI socket on the TV?

My understanding is if you get the right switch it will detect which device is sending a signal most recently and use that one, slightly different to CEC which is actively controlling the TV input.

Only a thought, not sure if it would work.

Don't think this works, my TV always defaults to Chromecast for the HDMI port. I just assumed it was because the Xbox was set for instant on

Back
Top Bottom