Xbox One - Virgin Media.

Associate
Hey,

So I'm currently with Virgin Media for my internet and I've experienced nothing but issues when using it via an Xbox One.

Now the WiFi signal isn't the best as the router is in a living room and the Xbox is in a bedroom at the other side of the house. It's only a small house but it seems the signal range is awful.

In the meantime, I've added power line adaptors to help.. however the Xbox One doesn't seem to connect to the internet through this. It can do via the extended WiFi signal now but it drops a lot and lags constantly online.

I've tried DMZ, Static IP, Port Forwarding, Port Triggering, MAC Filtering to help it connect with the wired connection via the power line adapter. I've tried them separately, I've tried them together. I've tried forwarding the adaptor ports as well.

An I've ran out of ideas as I still can't get it to connect. Suggestions?

Soldato
I've never used the superhub as I find it awful. I've been using an old router and out the superhub in modem mode and everything has been solid.

Not telling you to invest in equipment but to try it out if you have something lying around.

Soldato
The superhub is rubbish but I used it for years with no issues like your seeing. Have you done a factory reset of your Xbox, also have you tested your Xbox at a friends house or anything just to make sure its not a dodgy NIC or wireless card your xbox has?

Associate
OP
I've never used the superhub as I find it awful. I've been using an old router and out the superhub in modem mode and everything has been solid.

Not telling you to invest in equipment but to try it out if you have something lying around.

I've read the same advice with a lot of different older related posts. I don't have any spare routers knocking around so it would be an additional cost regardless. I'm a little unsure on what's considered a good router though given that prices go from £30 up to £250 on some.

Associate
OP
The superhub is rubbish but I used it for years with no issues like your seeing. Have you done a factory reset of your Xbox, also have you tested your Xbox at a friends house or anything just to make sure its not a dodgy NIC or wireless card your xbox has?

I never used to have the issues I have now until we moved home. I also never used to have this issue previously on the Xbox unless it's only recently gone faulty. I've tried a reset on the settings but only the lite version that kept your games and settings.

Soldato
I never used to have the issues I have now until we moved home. I also never used to have this issue previously on the Xbox unless it's only recently gone faulty. I've tried a reset on the settings but only the lite version that kept your games and settings.
I guess you weren't previously with Virgin or used this current SuperHub? It might be worth testing on another network if you can but id recommend a full reset just to cross that off the list also.

It may well be faulty though and until you try it on a new network or a full reset it will be tough to tell.

Associate
OP
I guess you weren't previously with Virgin or used this current SuperHub? It might be worth testing on another network if you can but id recommend a full reset just to cross that off the list also.

It may well be faulty though and until you try it on a new network or a full reset it will be tough to tell.

I was with Virgin Media before but had the Super Hub 2. It was fine for 90% of the time but then that got to the point of needed upgrading by VM.

I guess I'll try a full reset and see where it leaves me.

Soldato
Do you know if you're connected via 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

There's a way to separate out the 2 on the superhub 3, I would suggest splitting the connections and naming them Virgin24 and Virgin5 and try connecting on the different frequencies.

2.4ghz handles travelling through walls and distance better than 5ghz, but its generally a busier frequency and not as fast as what 5ghz can offers.

But you gain distance as a compromise.

Soldato
Get rid of it, itll never work right.
I set it to modem only mode and bought a Netgear Nighthawk router ( R7800, can be got for about £130), not only was my Xbox a stable connection, but my general internet speed from my cable went up.

Associate
OP
I ended up finding a Netgear N600 router in the garage. I've put the SuperHub into modem mode for the time being, the connection is still slow but it's a lot more stable.

I think I'll have to do a WiFi Mesh or look alternative ISP because I'm paying for "up to" 200mb/s and I get 20mb/s on a good day unless sat in the same room as the router.

Associate
I have a similar setup to you and use the D-Link wired network extenders. I seem to remember reading about the plug sockets needing to be on the same ring for this to work correctly. Perhaps this could be the issue? Are you able to test this by placing the Xbox downstairs?

Not had any issues with the superhub other than since 'upgrading' to a Superhub 3, it randomly decides to reset the SSID and password to default values.

Associate
OP
I have a similar setup to you and use the D-Link wired network extenders. I seem to remember reading about the plug sockets needing to be on the same ring for this to work correctly. Perhaps this could be the issue? Are you able to test this by placing the Xbox downstairs?

Not had any issues with the superhub other than since 'upgrading' to a Superhub 3, it randomly decides to reset the SSID and password to default values.

What do you mean that they need to be on the same ring?

It seems that Super Hub 3 is just trash, straight from the production line.

Associate
What do you mean that they need to be on the same ring?

It seems that Super Hub 3 is just trash, straight from the production line.
Seperate circuits. So you may have your downstairs main sockets on one circuit, with the upstairs sockets in another. As the signal is passed along these circuits there can be connectivity issues experience when trying to utilise the Ethernet adapters across different circuits.

Soldato
Depending on the age of the fuse box can be the issue too. I cant do powerlines from upstairs to downstairs and vice versa. The trick is to use powerline convertors on the same floor and put the furthest in the room underneath where the Xbox is then plug a wifi extender into same socket if a twin socket or use powerlines with a built in socket

Associate
What about a super long Ethernet cable from the modem to Xbox? Or powerline ethernet?

I use Ethernet via Powerline and it works great. On my PC upstairs. Maybe your wi-fi on your Xbox is faulty or your router is just bad at wi-fi. My Xbox is plugged into modem via Ethernet and it works fine.

Associate
OP
I live in a bungalow and would assume that the power line adaptors would be on the same circuit, so that shouldn't have been an issue? I've also tried plugging my Xbox in via Ethernet through these power line adaptors but it doesn't seem to register the internet?

Virgin Media in the end have sent out some WIFI/Power line adaptors which are great now that I have 100% signal strength, the only problem is the games lag online.. One step forward, Two steps back and all that.

Soldato
I live in a bungalow and would assume that the power line adaptors would be on the same circuit, so that shouldn't have been an issue? I've also tried plugging my Xbox in via Ethernet through these power line adaptors but it doesn't seem to register the internet?

Virgin Media in the end have sent out some WIFI/Power line adaptors which are great now that I have 100% signal strength, the only problem is the games lag online.. One step forward, Two steps back and all that.

Perhaps reset the HUB or whatever devices you have changed settings on if you haven't already, in your OP you mentioned you tried DMZ, port forwarding, static IP...

VM here and never had to do any of that stuff, I do have my hub3 in modem mode though.

Associate
I have Virgin and have my Xbox upstairs in my bedroom. My boys have their PS4 in their room and get a signal no problem. My PS4 and Xbox can't pick up the WIFI though.

I also got a pair of the Virign WIFI/Powerline adaptors as they were free so thought I would give them a go. Xbox is now plug into this via the Ethernet cable and seems to be running fine. I don't do much online play on any console or PC so its all good.

Back
Top Bottom