Xbox One X

Associate
Has Red Dead Redemption dropped in price recently on Xbox Store, if Im looking in the correct place it seems to be £8.24 currently.

I could have sworn it was around £20-25 not long ago, especially with the recent X patch.

Might pick it up at that price.
Gah, bought it yesterday at the full price. Oh well lol.

Soldato
Associate
Think I’m done with this console, only really use it for blu ray discs and even that’s a chore, can’t just put the disc in a play the thing without having reboot the console and mess about closing/reloading the app, software on this thing is a mess.

Caporegime
In all seriousness, if it's pointless going for HDR with low nits and anything less than 10-bit, would I be better investing in a Samsung U32H850 32" QLED monitor?

I wouldn't really be able to say, as I don't know much about monitors really to say if it's worth it, but for these "HDR" TV's at that price point I wouldn't bother, it will not be an experience that is befitting the technology. IMHO TV manufacturers should not be marketing them as HDR as the performance on them tends to be crap.

Soldato
I wouldn't really be able to say, as I don't know much about monitors really to say if it's worth it, but for these "HDR" TV's at that price point I wouldn't bother, it will not be an experience that is befitting the technology. IMHO TV manufacturers should not be marketing them as HDR as the performance on them tends to be crap.

They should at least be marketed differently, much like HD Ready (720p) and Full HD (1080p) TV's were.

It's a difficult one, we've just moved house and I have a games room ready and waiting but can't stretch my budget above £500. On the other hand I don't want to invest, then 6 months to a year down the line have to re-invest in a proper HDR capable TV / monitor.

Associate
A wide colour gamut that can make a big difference as well.

I watched Transformers 5 yesterday on a modest Samsung MU6500 in HDR and was quite impressed. This TV by no means is a high end TV but was able to display the content much better than in SDR mode with very deep black, rich colour and noticeable highlights even though it only has approx 350 nits in brightness. The Samsung MU6400 was mentioned somewhere in this thread above doesn't have a wide colour gamut and this is important.
I don't think any HDR monitors are worth investing in right now.

I spent time with a few HDR TV's last month and I came to the conclusion that for less than a grand you won't get the best HDR experience but you can get a better experience than non HDR if the TV has a very good contrast ratio and wide colour gamut as the TV tone maps anyway. The brightness in HDR movies is a director's choice and sometimes doesn't go anywhere near 1000 nits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebf2Oi23Pw0&list=PLV6PNz895rnNjhYGRfPSpnNs2TydmKv8Z

A lot of TVs under a thousand aren't true 10 bits anyway and some in the know at avforums say it's not that important.

Extra detail can still be seen in shadows and clouds, sky etc with richer colour due to the wide colour gamut. Highlights are also present in lights and fire even at 350-400 nits.

I wouldn't spend over a grand on a LCD anyway and would rather wait for affordable OLEDS.

So if buying a TV for budget prices I would step up to a TV with at least a wide colour gamut and high contrast ratio so you could possibly get a nice picture regardless.

These are just my opinions and shouldn't be taken as facts btw.

Edit: The 6400 may well have a wcg so I could be wrong on that just in case anyone else quotes this post.

Last edited:
Associate
This is why I'm thinking I might be better investing in the Samsung QLED monitor mentioned in my other post. The colours on it are surely going to be far superior to any budget TV and for gaming it has Freesync and 5ms response time.
It's a good monitor so whatever you are going to do make sure to buy from a store with a good return policy so that you can return it hassle free if you are not happy with it.

HeX

HeX

Soldato

I watched Transformers 5 yesterday on a modest Samsung MU6500 in HDR and was quite impressed. This TV by no means is a high end TV but was able to display the content much better than in SDR mode with very deep black, rich colour and noticeable highlights even though it only has approx 350 nits in brightness. The Samsung MU6400 was mentioned somewhere in this thread above doesn't have a wide colour gamut and this is important.

The MU6400 and MU6500 are identical specs, the only difference is the 6500 is curved...

Soldato
I'm using a 60ju6800 and theres a large difference in HDR colours vs SDR (on consolae at least, not sure how to not use HDR on the built in apps). It does have some sort of special colour coating.

Associate
The MU6400 and MU6500 are identical specs, the only difference is the 6500 is curved...
I don't think they are.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/69b8b40

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/6d6ab3a

I could be wrong of course. The 6400 might have a panel change according to size with the ADS panel instead of a proper VA.

The 6400 may well have a wide colour gamut after all but I'm not sure now as the rec 2020 score of only 65 percent isn't great.

Here is a very good thread on recommendations from budget to high end if that's ok to link it.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2017-edition.2120104/

I apologize if mistaken.

Last edited:
Soldato

I spent time with a few HDR TV's last month and I came to the conclusion that for less than a grand you won't get the best HDR experience but you can get a better experience than non HDR if the TV has a very good contrast ratio and wide colour gamut as the TV tone maps anyway. The brightness in HDR movies is a director's choice and sometimes doesn't go anywhere near 1000 nits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebf2Oi23Pw0&list=PLV6PNz895rnNjhYGRfPSpnNs2TydmKv8Z

A lot of TVs under a thousand aren't true 10 bits anyway and some in the know at avforums say it's not that important.

Extra detail can still be seen in shadows and clouds, sky etc with richer colour due to the wide colour gamut. Highlights are also present in lights and fire even at 350-400 nits.

I wouldn't spend over a grand on a LCD anyway and would rather wait for affordable OLEDS.

So if buying a TV for budget prices I would step up to a TV with at least a wide colour gamut and high contrast ratio so you could possibly get a nice picture regardless.

These are just my opinions and shouldn't be taken as facts btw.
+1 to most of what you say. Majority of affordable HDTV's are 8+2 not true 10 or 12 bit you would need a microscope or sit a few inches away to tell the difference anyway. As for NITS rating its also not that important right now I would be more concerned about local dimming zones (which is very hard to get info from the manufacturers) & being able to disable it as it causes a lot of issues on games especially.

Also OLED still have problems with image retention which need to be resolved. Try playing Fallout 4 for a few hours the screen burn from the ingame control panel is noticeable!

As you said not worth paying more than a grand wait for the prices to drop the WCG + HDR difference even on a budget set is impressive. Although right now the 2018 HDR model prices have skyrocketed so its hard to even find a basic model for less than a grand. If I were buying I would just get a 2017 model Hisense as they are effectively the Chinese state HDTV so the subsidy is massive which means they are selling £150-200 below market rates (2 year warranty only though).

In about 2 years the HDR market will have matured a lot more & it will be easier to get a decent set for reasonable money. Right now expect to pay £2K+ (for minimal visual difference) so just spend £400-500 on a compromise model & the difference on an X1X & some UHD movies!

Soldato
Played Fallout 4 for well over 100 hours and no retention or burn on mine. Tbh I find HDR has more of a visual impact than the 4K resolution. Well done HDR looks stunning compared to SDR.

Soldato
Played Fallout 4 for well over 100 hours and no retention or burn on mine. Tbh I find HDR has more of a visual impact than the 4K resolution. Well done HDR looks stunning compared to SDR.
HDR is a massive visual upgrade when implemented correctly (not bolted onto an older game like they did with Rise Of The Tomb Raider :rolleyes: ).

What OLED do you have then I have read reports of a lot of gamers getting bad image retention from Fallout 4 as the in game control panel cannot be disabled (unless you play on the hardest difficulty).

Soldato
HDR is a massive visual upgrade when implemented correctly (not bolted onto an older game like they did with Rise Of The Tomb Raider :rolleyes: ).

What OLED do you have then I have read reports of a lot of gamers getting bad image retention from Fallout 4 as the in game control panel cannot be disabled (unless you play on the hardest difficulty).

I have an LG B6 had it a while now and not had any retention. Fallout 4 is my most played game on both PS4 and Xbox. I play on normal I’m not good enough for hard...lol...

Back
Top Bottom