Xbox Series S/X. No SPDIF. How are you getting audio when using PC monitor?

Soldato
I have an Xbox series s and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to get audio through to my PC would be as I use my PC monitor for it. Currently I'm using a 3.5mm jack between my PC's monitor headphone jack and the line in port on my PC, this works fine however the line in port has quite a bit of noise on it from my graphics card so it's not ideal

I could just plug some speakers into my PC monitor but I'd rather the xbox sound to be coming through my headphones along with my other PC audio

With the One S, it had an SPDIF port so running a DAC between it and the PC was no issue

Is anyone here using a PC monitor for your series s/x, if so how are you getting audio?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an Xbox series s and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to get audio through to my PC would be as I use my PC monitor for it. Currently I'm using a 3.5mm jack between my PC's monitor headphone jack and the line in port on my PC, this works fine however the line in port has quite a bit of noise on it from my graphics card so it's not ideal

I could just plug some speakers into my PC monitor but I'd rather the xbox sound to be coming through my headphones along with my other PC audio

With the One S, it had an SPDIF port so running a DAC between it and the PC was no issue at all

Is anyone here using a PC monitor for your series s/x, if so how are you getting audio?

I made a post on this a while back. The majority of those HDMI audio splitters don't work properly. Bought two, sent them both back. If you only need 1440p 60hz though, you may be fine.

I'm having to use the monitors 3.5mm jack.

Microsoft really should have kept the optical port.

Soundbar may be an option for you? Or maybe an amp with the correct HDMI pass-through support. It gets a bit expensive though.

Associate
Probably a stupid question but I have the Edifier r1700bt it has PC IN and AUX IN.

Does that mean I can connect PC IN to my Soundblaster G6 and AUX IN to the monitor at the same time? That way I'll have sound for both PC and Series X which is also connect to the monitor?

Associate
Probably a stupid question but I have the Edifier r1700bt it has PC IN and AUX IN.

Does that mean I can connect PC IN to my Soundblaster G6 and AUX IN to the monitor at the same time? That way I'll have sound for both PC and Series X which is also connect to the monitor?

Yes. What quality you get from the monitor may or may not be favourable.

Associate
Really unfortunate how both Microsoft and Sony have removed optical out, which whilst not perfect is one of the best (in some cases only) way to extract high fidelity audio. Particularly for headphones users. There was a really good thread over at Microsoft's Community forums which showed some really nice setups and the impact on new Series X|S users. I'm currently using optical out from my TV to a Fiio K5 Pro and then using Dolby or DTS for headphones (or pure stereo, depending on game). And that setup will work with Series X|S.

With a monitor I'm not sure how you can extract audio as the 3.5mm jack results in double amping. I think it would have to be a licensed solution such as the Astro Mixamp or Licenced headset (i.e. Audese Penrose X) to improve audio quality.

USB DAC like creative X3? I use this with a usb switch to change between PC, Mac and Switch.

USB Audio devices are not supported on Xbox One or Series X|S. PS5 is similar to PS4 in that it is compatible with UAC1 compatible DAC/AMPs so something like the Soundblaster G3 or G6 will work (although at half volumes/lower power with PS4 - I believe this may not currently be an issue with PS5).

When it was first reported both machines wouldn't use optical out very rarely did any media outlets or users really comment on licensing. Which is very probably the real driver for removing optical out.

Caporegime
It's because consoles are designed to work with TV's that have HDMI ARC which is superior. You will probably be able to get a HDMI 2.1 audio extractor in time.

Associate
It's because consoles are designed to work with TV's that have HDMI ARC which is superior. You will probably be able to get a HDMI 2.1 audio extractor in time.

For A/V Receivers it is. So for speaker setups yes, indeed HDMI has been better for a while now.

However for headphones users that isn't the case as no headphones DAC/AMPs or headsets use HDMI. It's licensing, cost cutting and an 'aging' standard. As evidenced by recent NPD figures gaming headsets are a major growth area (everyone wants to be like their favourite streamer + online) and removing that port means partners have to license their equipment with Microsoft to to make their audio devices compatible with Series X|S. USB/Optical - DAC/AMPs have exploded in the last 5 years and it's a shame because all of those options are cut-off. Furthermore communications is two-way, so MS not allowing any 'unlicensed' USB mics either is poor.

Sony is a little better but still have limited support for UAC devices. Also there is currently no support for Tempest 3D audio over HDMI.

Astro's HDMI 2.0b audio extractor 'may' be the safest bet atm, of those options.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi! So this is my 1st time ever posting in a forum so please bear with me. On the xbox one, i used to be heard in my clips that I would make. Then they updated and that was no longer a thing. So I now have the Xbox Series S and just bought Astros a40 and mixamp pro. I was told that headset, then me and game chat could be heard in my clips. No luck. Did a little research and read that I needed an hdmi audio extractor since the new gen consoles have no optical port. So I bought one and still no luck!! I've been trying to figure this out for months. I was told I can use a capture card but I don't have a pc. I love making clips but if you can't hear my friends and I, then the clips aren't as awesome lol. Please, someone help!!!!

Back
Top Bottom