Xbox360 noobie + Wireless kit

Soldato
Ok, this being my first console in a while, are there any does and don't with these as the whole concept of a CD based console is new to me?

I have heard it needs good ventilation, will it be ok on my solid wood side board with about 2cm around it?

My gamertag thingy is Yewen incase you want it aswell, need to get myself a wireless access point / router for PC to plug into my DG834, so anything you suggest would be most welcome. :)

Oh I feel like a 7 year old, can not wait to get my hands on it now. :p

Soldato
OP
The right hand side of my console will have a whole room to get air from, just the left will be near my HiFi.

Cheers for the comments, first console since the N64 that has looked any good. PC fanboy and all, the Xbox360 and Nintendo Wii don't seem to be the same games with better graphics, they are actually doing new things, Xbox Live, Gears of War and the lack of arcade racing games on the PC. :p

Its a long way for me to make a cable travel, does nobody run a wireless setup with one then!?

Soldato
OP
TV will be a generic 28" Bush TV, its more of a family console and I am in it for the gameplay not the graphics so it does not really bother me at the moment.

I have Amped 3, PGR3, GRAW, DOA4 either in my hands or on the way. :)

The wireless adapter is £60 yes, but I need one as running a 20m cable through the house is not really an option. :p

Wireless adapter + a decent access point should only cost me around £100 so its not that bad really.

If you read the game offer thread you will see how excited I was when waiting for the hour to pop up. :D

Should have the console, Live sub, Extra Controller, Play and Charge, GRAW and Amped 3 by Tuesday, so should be up on live by Wednesday as I hope to order a WiFi Access point with MAC authentication sometime today, just can not find out if the Xbox Wireless is 54mb or 108mb, I have a 11mb ME102 now but it allows anyone to connect to it and steel my connection as the encription just does not work. :p

Soldato
OP
Ehm:

PGR3
DOA4
Wireless Controller
Xbox Live 12months
Play and Charge

Only thing I did not get that I wanted was the 360 Premium. :(

Soldato
OP
I was, hard. :p

SPEF got the same + the console. :(

Prepare for loads of threads of me confused, as it is not a PC, and I see consoles more akin to a VCR than a PC. :p

Can't wait for it! PC fanboy and all but the prospect of playing non serious arcade games is really appealing due to the multiplayer capeability in almost every game; just such a good idea.

Soldato
OP
That wont happen. :p

Supreme Commander is on the horizon and I play BF2.

So many good games on the PC I wont stop, just the 360 offers a different style of games, and so will my Wii! :p

Missed the last generation of consoles completely as it was a case of the same games with better graphics up until the last few months really. Sure GTA was good, but im not buying a console for one game when it comes out on PC and gets great mods a few months later!

Not gonna happen with that thread I am sorry to tell you, PC fanboy through and through, a PC made for arcade games (360) is not going to remove me from my love of the Megadrive/N64 and PC.

In my eyes the last innovative console that worked was the N64, the Xbox had Live but it never really worked, the 360 seems to take the community aspect quite seriously, I personally see it as the main draw to the console.

The Wii looks fun, to a level my Nan could play some games, so that will be ace!

The PS3 looks like a load of rendered sequences that look very nice indeed, stunning infact, but I have yet to see a game on the console that I do not already own a version 1 or 2 of from my PS1, it is just a graphical upgrade and I am in the consoles for the gameplay really.

I have a £2000 PC for graphics, so a console that will be surpassed within a few months for £500 is a waste, I may pick one up after they go to £100 or so.

Just Live, looks like a good idea and as long as the games do not all suffer from terrible lag, will be very fun!

Soldato
OP
I can answer that for you, yes.

It is just a plug in and plug in and go. :)

You can bridge the connection in windows if you do not have a router aswell. :)

Soldato
OP
Ok the million pound question.

Do I get the Wireless adapter and setup a wireless network now, or do I leave it until later?

Soldato
OP
I wont be able to no. :(

You and McDaniel are making me spend money, watch it or I will put you onto my ignore list. :p

/tootles off to spend yet more moneh.

Soldato
OP
If it does the job it is worth the money, simple as really.

Got it and a Netgear WG602 v.3 on the way, should set me up nicely. :)

Cheers guys!

Now, wait for my barrage of, OH IT WONT TURN ON, comments. :p

Soldato
OP
I will be hooked, I put about 400 hours into Gran Turismo 2 and have not touched a racing game since.

I have no idea how to buzz you for it, so you may have to do it to me, I will be a total noobie as I will be playing Zuma, well a family member will, before I even get my hands on MY machine. :(

Should be up and running by the early afternoon Tuesday, well hopefully!

Soldato
OP
Wow, will people stop with the games!

Hard to keep up! :p

Will get it as it does look cool. But maybe not for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom