XC60 as a rental car for 5 people with 4 bags

Soldato
Hi folks

Coming back to the UK for a family visit. Need to hire car for 3 weeks that can take 3 adults and 2 kids plus associated baggage; intent is that the kids share a case and the adults have 1 each. All planned to be soft shell not hard so squishable. I've found an XC60 (or similar) from Enterprise for a reasonable price from Heathrow (as we'll be ending out stay in London) and all the reviews and vids suggest that the XC60 would take the number of cases but I was hoping to see if anyone had any real life examples and/or advice?

What's motors view on the size of them?

Ta

Chris

I reckon they'd fit, but you'd likely need a dog net as it won't fit under the parcel shelf.

edit - One easy way to work it out is the measure the bags and cross-reference it with the volume of the boot. But check if the measurement is to the parcel shelf or the roof.

Sqb0BSW.png

415L under the load cover, 595 to the roof.

Last edited:
Thanks, when you mean a dog net do you mean to stop anything above the parcel shelf level from sliding in to the back seats? The dimensions are fab though as that will allow me to 'test' the sizes and ensure that the females in the trip do not over pack :cry:

Reactions: mjt
The "or similar" part is what would worry me. I can't personally comment as to whether everything would fit in an XC60, but there's a fair chance they won't even give you that exact car. I rent cars fairly often and I'd say I end up with the exact model I booked less than 50% of the time.

I'd probably book an estate over an SUV. Partly due to the risk mentioned above over being given exact model. Most estates would fit 4 large suitcases.

Reactions: mjt
I'd probably book an estate over an SUV. Partly due to the risk mentioned above over being given exact model. Most estates would fit 4 large suitcases.
Estates are really expensive at the moment via rental agencies. Looking at 5K NZD plus for the same period as the XC60. They where my first choice until I saw the price.

The "or similar" part is what would worry me. I can't personally comment as to whether everything would fit in an XC60, but there's a fair chance they won't even give you that exact car. I rent cars fairly often and I'd say I end up with the exact model I booked less than 50% of the time.
Yeah this has always concerned me when I'm doing long haul with lots of people. I've reached out to the company to find out if they can qualify what 'or similar' means, obviously it could be something else but you would expect it to be in the same class i.e. another 'full sized SUV'. I'm really looking at boot volume and practicalities of loading at the moment as we can tailor our luggage to suit that somewhat.

Going on my sister's family experience when they've flown in to visit us - the "or similar" for a large SUV has turned out to be IIRC a BMW X1, Renault Captur, etc. ... and a shrug and "that is all that is available" ... total joke IMO.

Coming back to the UK for a family visit. Need to hire car for 3 weeks that can take 3 adults and 2 kids plus associated baggage; intent is that the kids share a case and the adults have 1 each. All planned to be soft shell not hard so squishable. I've found an XC60 (or similar) from Enterprise for a reasonable price from Heathrow (as we'll be ending out stay in London) and all the reviews and vids suggest that the XC60 would take the number of cases but I was hoping to see if anyone had any real life examples and/or advice?

You won't get an XC60, you'll get something else that's arguably similar. Enterprise (and Alamo - who get you Enterprise service at lower prices) state for their vehicles how many people and bags they'll take - book based on that instead of on the basis of an exact model.

You won't get an XC60, you'll get something else that's arguably similar. Enterprise (and Alamo - who get you Enterprise service at lower prices) state for their vehicles how many people and bags they'll take - book based on that instead of on the basis of an exact model.
This is the concern. When you read the reviews of various 'large SUVs' they can carry more than 3 bags yet the firms only show 3 bags max and this includes the estates. Does anybody know of any sites that may hold what vehicles are rented where? There must be some rental nerds out there that track the rental fleet and what is where, like bus spotters do??

Is there a definition for 'Large SUV' etc? that could be relied on?

How big are the kids, the rear bench is not a proper seat as there is a small transmission bump, so middle seat is not best in the car but I tested my car for a trip with 5 120kg adults and it was tolerable for a couple of hours if you're good friends. :D

Boot is pretty big if you don't use the parceshelf I can fit it 3 cases and hand luggage no problem but in no way can I use the parceshelf with a massive load.

When I last booked a rental, I was offered an XC60 or similar, turned up and got a 530e xdrive estate it had a smaller boot :eek:

The kids are 8 and 11 with 3 adults me included. Max boot space is only needed when we transition from areas e.g. moving regions and accommodation this will only happen 3 times in 4 weeks so not using the parcel shelf during this time is fine; the kids will share a check in luggage and two of the adults will have soft cases. Longest journey is about 4 or 5 hours as we head out from Wales to the NW England with probably a couple of stops so loading above parcel shelf is fine - as long as I have wing mirrors I can drive... In NZ they appear to be quite optional!

How did you end up with the an estate from an SUV? I thought they would have to give you a similar class or was the estate 'an upgrade'?

Rear adult passenger is going to feel the squeeze - XC60 have 2 outer seats and a smaller, almost arm rest width middle seat (standard for anything not an MPV).
Highly recommend booking a 7 seat MPV such as a Ford Galaxy/S-Max, Seat Alhambra, Citroen C4 Space tourer/Renault Scenic as you'll get 5, individual full-size seats and if you put the rear 2 seats down, a massive boot for more than enough luggage.

Avoid 7 seat SUVs such as the X-Trail, Kodiaq/Tarraco as they suffer the same "half-width middle seat" in the middle row.

We made the mistake of using Dad's ridiculously thirsty Nissan Armada, over an MPV on our 2015 trip to Canada. It was a squeeze with just 3 adults and 1 child.

When we went back in 2018, we splashed out and hired a top-spec Chrysler Pacifica: 3.6L V6, Active cruise control, 2+2+3 layout (4 individually operated captain's chairs with recline, plus a rear 3 seat bench), full Blu-Ray entertainment system (screens in front & middle seat headrests), electric sliding rear doors, 2x 120V outlets, USB ports for every seat...

It was absolutely brilliant and made our 3,000 mile roadtrip from Edmonton, Alberta to Vancouver Island (via Calgary, Lake Louise, Salmon Arm, Banff, Kelowna & Langley/Vancouver City, BC) all the easier because our 3 kids (and us 3 adults) were comfortable.

Admittedly, we paid a fair bit more for the bigger vehicle (and the better spec) but it really was money well spent, considering the amount of time we spent in it over our 6 week trip.

XC60 have 2 outer seats and a smaller, almost arm rest width middle seat (standard for anything not an MPV).

Depends on the kids - it'll be fine in something like a Qashqai (or X-Trail) if you've got 1-2 kid(s) who doesn't take up too much room, not great if you've got 2 who need a car seat or booster, etc. the middle seat really is just a kids size seat though the outer 2 are decent size.

Also depends a bit on the X-Trail generation - the older one is completely different again, the 2010s version is basically just a longer/higher Qashqai while the latest version is a completely different thing again and I believe has more seating width.

EDIT: Still not ideal if you need 3 adult size spaces in the back: https://youtu.be/_czgmo4iqEY?t=290 I quite like the look of the new X-Trail but the engine choices put me off massively and it needs a bit more ruggedized suspension really IMO - it is just a glorified 7 seater really which doesn't quite hit any of the notes whether trying to replace a big estate or something for a bit of light off-road.

Last edited:
How did you end up with the an estate from an SUV? I thought they would have to give you a similar class or was the estate 'an upgrade'?

To be honest I'm not sure I was off in visiting the conveniences, I suspect my BMW fan boy mates might have had something to do with it.

Also depends a bit on the X-Trail generation - the older one is completely different again, the 2010s version is basically just a longer/higher Qashqai while the latest version is a completely different thing again and I believe has more seating width.

Not sure if they has got any bigger but a 2015 Xtrail is not very wide inside, even sat up front I feel like I am cozying up to my mate when driving but as mentioned above we are all big lads. Has to be the smallest 4x4 of our group.

Rear adult passenger is going to feel the squeeze - XC60 have 2 outer seats and a smaller, almost arm rest width middle seat (standard for anything not an MPV).
Highly recommend booking a 7 seat MPV such as a Ford Galaxy/S-Max, Seat Alhambra, Citroen C4 Space tourer/Renault Scenic as you'll get 5, individual full-size seats and if you put the rear 2 seats down, a massive boot for more than enough luggage.

Whilst I do disagree on the size of the rear on a xc60, having adults in mine, it's a very wide arm rest, I do agree that with kids something boxy like those mentioned might be better, the rear bench tends to be higher in a boxy MPV giving a better position for little ones seeing out the front and there's more glass for them to see what's going on outside, the XC60 is more like a raised estate, so some similar compromises in the rear to an estate and not as spacious as an MPV (the ones that are more van like)

It was absolutely brilliant and made our 3,000 mile roadtrip from Edmonton, Alberta to Vancouver Island (via Calgary, Lake Louise, Salmon Arm, Banff, Kelowna & Langley/Vancouver City, BC) all the easier because our 3 kids (and us 3 adults) were comfortable.

Going to drag off topic a bit but we are doing a very similar trip this year as missus has family in Edmonton and we thought we'd go over and do a little tour of Canada starting in Vancouver, we have been tossing the coin on driving Vancouver to Calgary over a few days or just doing an internal flight. As you've done similar any standout places to go and what sort of route did you take, not that are many options

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies... I went ahead and booked it (paid up front + additional GPS) as it was one of the better deals compared to the other providers, NZ > UK exchange rate will fluctuate and we're in a reasonable place right now conversion wise, and the other cars where simply too expensive. Its 3 adults and 2 kids, kids are 8 and 11 and skinny, myself (the driver), the mother in law and the missus. The missus is small too and she can fit in our Audi S4 back seats in between the kids booster seats. We're going to look at purchasing slim booster when we arrive if we need to but she can probably tolerate a journey in the back if its at least the same width as the S4.

Thanks all for the replies... I went ahead and booked it (paid up front + additional GPS) as it was one of the better deals compared to the other providers, NZ > UK exchange rate will fluctuate and we're in a reasonable place right now conversion wise, and the other cars where simply too expensive. Its 3 adults and 2 kids, kids are 8 and 11 and skinny, myself (the driver), the mother in law and the missus. The missus is small too and she can fit in our Audi S4 back seats in between the kids booster seats. We're going to look at purchasing slim booster when we arrive if we need to but she can probably tolerate a journey in the back if its at least the same width as the S4.

We ordered 3x Isofix car seats from Amazon Canada, delivered to Dad's place in Edmonton ($220CAD in total), as the cost to hire for 7 weeks was absolutely ridiculous.
He met us with the seats when we landed at Calgary and we installed them in the Pacifica straight away (Hertz weren't too impressed that we asked them to bin the boxes).
On the last day of our trip (departing from Vancouver), my Wife's Aunt & Uncle came to see us off and we gave them the 3 car seats to donate to their church (they knew of a family who would make good use of them), along with the other baby bits we'd bought for our 6 month old daughter.

So a bit of a necro revival :-) In the UK for a few weeks and I figured I'd update this thread. Got an XC60 T6 Hybrid recharge - nice interior, touch screen is annoying (prefer buttons) but the digital dashboard is cool. Boot is big enough for 2 large suitcases, 2 medium, 1 duffle type bag with wheels and backpacks loaded on the top... so yes it does fit what I expected!

It also allowed me to realise that I hate SUVs and much prefer low slung sedans but this T6 does have good grunt but man it wallows into corners!

Back
Top Bottom