• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 5970 BE Disassembly

Soldato
As per title, looking to apply new tim and a give it a general clean up but for the life of me I can't find anything on Google. Want to make sure I don't **** it up.

Cheers.

Associate
you will just have to apply tim to the cores...the memory has pads on it already so if you want to take these of and replace with tim use artic silver ceramique..for the cores i would use mx-4....use half a pee size blob for each core and make sure you clean of the old stuff properly first otherwise you will lose some of the affect of the new stuff.....its quite easy to do just get a small stary driver and take of the screws holding the heatsink on....lay them to one side and unplug the fan....wiggly it slightly and the old tim will let go and you will be down to the pcb...do your magic then reverse the taking off process.....

Soldato
OP
Just some wee feedback if anyone plants on doing this. Was super straight forward with no hidden screws or anything, only needed 2 Phillips screwdrivers and that was it. Can't believe how much gunk they put onto the GPU's though, they were covered and so was the PCB! Cleaned it all up, reapplied the paste on GPU's and also the pads on the memory and also blew all the dust out with a hair dryer. Temps have gone down by 5C which isn't much but better than nothing.

Associate
Just some wee feedback if anyone plants on doing this. Was super straight forward with no hidden screws or anything, only needed 2 Phillips screwdrivers and that was it. Can't believe how much gunk they put onto the GPU's though, they were covered and so was the PCB! Cleaned it all up, reapplied the paste on GPU's and also the pads on the memory and also blew all the dust out with a hair dryer. Temps have gone down by 5C which isn't much but better than nothing.

idle or load?

Soldato
The going rate on the MM is £220. However they are quite rare these days. I sold mine on the bay the other week for £350 in 20 mins so there is obviously still demand. Unless you are running at super high res I would advise that you buy a GTX480 and overclock it (this is what I have done). It runs a hell allot better than my 5970 ever did.

Regrading taking the heatsink off, it's very straightforward, simply remove the screws. You may have to use some force to pull the heatsink off for the first time.

Last edited:
Associate
The going rate on the MM is £220. However they are quite rare these days. I sold mine on the bay the other week for £350 in 20 mins so there is obviously still demand. Unless you are running at super high res I would advise that you buy a GTX480 and overclock it (this is what I have done). It runs a hell allot better than my 5970 ever did.

Regrading taking the heatsink off, it's very straightforward, simply remove the screws. You may have to use some force to pull the heatsink off for the first time.

the going rate is whatever the seller wants for it...in my case it was £270...any lower and i wouldnt have sold it... i would rather sell it for a bit lower on the MM than line ebays pocket with there crazy fees plus i would rather a fellow enthusiast got it ;)

Soldato
the going rate is whatever the seller wants for it...in my case it was £270...any lower and i wouldnt have sold it... i would rather sell it for a bit lower on the MM than line ebays pocket with there crazy fees plus i would rather a fellow enthusiast got it ;)

100% agree mate. All I was saying is that I tried first on MM but I couldn't get anything like what I wanted for it. Within 20mins on Ebay it was gone....

Back
Top Bottom