• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX 7900GT(O) freezing problems

Associate
Hello all,

I've just reinstalled Windows on a friend's PC and it keeps freezing during games after a random amount of time (maybe 1/2 hr of FEAR, much shorter in Flatout). The GPU doesn't appear to be overheating, Flatout should be easypeasy for it. I've updated everything driver/chipset/bios wise for the PC & GFX and am running out of ideas so I've come here for any help & advice.

The graphics card is either a 7900GT or GTO (system info says 7900GT/GTO - I could find out from part numbers later, but doing this from work) and it's running on an A8N-SLI Premium with an Amd Athlon 64 X2 4000 processor.

The funny thing is even just exiting FEAR makes it go crazy. The desktop icons and taskbar display work, but the desktop background still shows an image of FEAR in the background (screen hasn't updated properly), and then the monitor flicks on and off every couple of seconds. In this state, you get loads of image corruption and general craziness when trying to shut it down...

Anyone got any ideas or questions that might help me solve this weird problem? I've read older threads where they talk about 84.21 drivers, but I'm using the latest.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Associate
OP
melbourne720 said:
What power supply do you have? As these problems exhibit themselves under load, could it be a PSU issue?

Shouldn't be. It's a Sparkle, I think 700W. Only talking one card installed, not SLI yet. It was originally a Seasonic S12 500W but that didn't even kick the Mobo into action so had to replace that when I originally built the PC some months ago. Not had a lot of luck with this build!

Associate
RhythmAce said:
Shouldn't be. It's a Sparkle, I think 700W. Only talking one card installed, not SLI yet. It was originally a Seasonic S12 500W but that didn't even kick the Mobo into action so had to replace that when I originally built the PC some months ago. Not had a lot of luck with this build!

Seasonic are a good brand, that's weird! Have you got like 200 hard drives or something?

Associate
OP
melbourne720 said:
Seasonic are a good brand, that's weird! Have you got like 200 hard drives or something?

Heh heh - no :)

The S12s have some funky energy saving features that effectively mean the PSU 'slow-starts' or warms up when switched on. This slow-start doesn't produce enough juice to kick some mobos into action:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17581405

But that's a whole other story...

Soldato
don;t stick anything on the ram otherwise your warranty is out the window.

do a search on these forums the 79series cards are failure prone. download and run 3dm06 the deep freeze test. and see if it dies in that.
also try the latest drivers. failing that its probably a borked card.

Associate
My XFX 7900GTX was sent back for rma i got one back after 3 weeks and its worse than the one i sent them, going through the process of rma'ing it again as we speak, tbh thinking of buying a ati card and when i get it rma'ed again selling it.

Soldato
well the first year of warranty shoudl be covered by the place you bought it from, so send it back to the shop that sold it to you and you will get an instant exchange.

unless you bought it from a crappy shop what will not honour the warranty and tells you to send it back to the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom