• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation.... SEX on a PCB!

Soldato
An awesome looking revision of the 7970 GHZ Edition. Loving the cooler design even down to the vent on the back!

Source from Videocardz
Yesterday AMD announced its new R200 series. We all expected details on the new graphics cards, because that’s what this event was supposed to be about, right? Instead we were just shown a glimpse of future AMD offering and some audio-related news.

Anyway it seems that today AMD is doing NDA briefing to everyone who flew to Hawaii. That said, we cannot expect any official details on R9 290X sooner than October 3rd, which is the day you will be able to pre-order R9 290X it with BF4.

Of course R9 290X was not the only announced model. We still have slower cards like Radeon R9 280X to talk about. I’m sure that most of you will now be looking for good offers on 7k series models. There is a good reason why you should look at R200 models instead, and the example came from XFX, which is featuring a new cooler design. Here let me just say they did a great job. It looks just about perfect — slick and expensive, pretty much what you expect from a high-end graphics card for a reasonable money. The R9 280X is a HD7970 GHz Edition refresh, so yes, this is pretty much the same card, only with a new cooler. The latest leaks suggest that some 280X card will run at higher memory clock than 7970 (6.4 GHz vs 6GHz). This is probably the main difference between the 7k and R200 series.

It looks like there’s just one huge aluminum fin array over the PCB. The new Double Dissipation cooler has two 100mm fans (Lower Noise Greater Airflow & Cooling). Moreover it has Unlocked Voltage (Digital Power, Max Power — whatever it means).

Moving on to specs, we have 2048 Stream Processors, 128 Texture Mapping Units and 32 Raster Operating Units. Additional we have 3GB GDDR5 memory across 384-bit interface. The card is equipped with five display outputs: HDMI, two mini-DisplayPorts and two DVIs. According to XFX their R9 280X will support DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.2 and OpenCL 1.2. It is capable of running QuadHD/4k resolutions. It also supports AMD HD3D, AMD PowerPlay, Blu-ray 3D and CrossFire up to 4-way configurations.

Clock speeds, launch date and the price remain unknown (but it should be slightly above reference model — $299 – $329).

3e8tEre.png
NWSGW9A.png

Soldato
OP
Not currently they dont teppic. i seem to think they used to? Wonder fi any mods can shine any light?.

i agree though that design is lovely and clean and classic!

Soldato
OP
Really liking the look of that and the 280x is what I am looking at upgrading too from my 6870.

Not long to go now I hope.

Well if it is a higher memory clocked 7970 GHZ edition it should be a nice leap. I'm praying the 290x delivers so i can jump to it otherwise i may bag a 280x myself

Soldato
OP
Thanks for explaining Gibbo and if that was the case you know what.... i totally support OCUK's decision to pull the cards!. My current card form XFX has been fine so farand the one before this was so it must have been a recent problem i assume

@Others

Whilst i know dual fans aren't new i just think the cooler design is so much nicer on that that what we usually find on coolers.

Back
Top Bottom