Xiaomi Android Updates

Soldato
I have a Samsung Galaxy A70 which is about 2 years and 4 months old. It has updated to Android 11, and recently got the Android security level update dated 1st September.

Three months ago I bought a Xiaomi Mi11 5G Lite. Android 11 and it has had one update I think, and is Android security level update dated 1st June.

So yes, the nearly two and a half year old Samsung phone is more up to date than the new one !

Is this what I can expect from Xiaomi going forward ? Frankly I doubt that it matters that much but this situation seems ridiculous.

I guess the Galaxy will probably hit 3 years and then stop getting updates at all, and the Xiaomi will keep getting them much longer albeit very slowly ?

Soldato
OP
OK thanks all, so I'll get used to less frequent updates ! The next security update can't be that far away. Seems like it is tied into the MIUI update itself. As it happens I don't particularly like the phone that much, so it won't be a long term keeper anyway. I really just wanted a cheap way to try 5G and something different so for £299 it was worth a punt. 5G has proved to be no real benefit to me. The phone is surprisingly light, and that is where the A70 falls down - with a strong screen protector on it and a case, it is a heavy beast. But I still find myself going back to it. Next time, I'll check a manufacturer's update policy first before purchasing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, sounds like the update is coming soon. I'll report back when I get it. I bought the phone directly from Xiaomi UK.

Soldato
OP
Mi 11 Lite 5G here and MIUI Global 12.5.3 and Android security update 2021-06-01, all woring fine for me.

So exactly the same as me. Yes it is working fine, just odd that my two and a half year old Samsung has the 2021-09-01 update, so is 3 months ahead of the new phone.

Soldato
OP
Mi 11 Lite 5G here and MIUI Global 12.5.3 and Android security update 2021-06-01, all woring fine for me.

I'm still on that same level here. Ridiculous. Have you got any further updates ?

I'm hearing that MIUI 13 should be Qtr 1, but given that this phone should have had 12.5.5, 12.5.6 and 12.5.7 by now I'm not confident.

Soldato
OP
OK so I've got some sort of solution to this. With help from other sources on the net, once you expose the advanced settings in the updater on the phone you can update from a file. You have to be careful of course to get a genuine Xiaomi ROM file. So I got the EEA 12.5.6 file (not to be confused with the global one) and it updated smoothly as an OTA update would have. I now have the 2021-10-01 security level which is a big improvement from 06-01.

Now why I'm not getting OTA updates I don't know, but anyway I now know how to do it manually if needed.

Back
Top Bottom