Xmas gift for 12 yr old, DIY build with expansion

Associate
Looking to buy components as a Xmas gift for a 12 year to build his first PC.

We already have a 1TB SATA Hard Drive, Keyboard, Mouse and Screen. My budget is £400, this is what I have at the moment any helpful feedback would be very useful to me.

My thoughts are to use the Intel onboard graphics until he wants to add a powerful graphics card.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £376.21 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the information on the overspec'd power supply.

Why would the AMD Ryzen 3 be a better choice than the Intel i3-8100
Any reason behind the RAM change?

Associate
OP
AK8KW10, would the rest of the setup be suitable if I dropped another £40 into the budget to upgrade to a RYZEN 5 QUAD CORE 1500X 3.70GHZ (SOCKET AM4)

Associate
OP
After reading everyone's great feedback, I think I'm there, as long as it fits into the case I have selected (better shape for the location).

Total: £533.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Associate
OP
After reading everyone's great feedback, I think I'm there, as long as it fits into the case I have selected (better shape for the location).

Total: £533.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Or would this be a better case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-phenom-matx-cube-case-nvidia-edition-black-ca-173-bx.html

I have a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" and a 120GB SSD I can add to the mix.

Anything else I have missed? i.e. SATA cables, etc.

Thank you again for all the advice, I'm new to the PC self-build world as you can probably tell.

Associate
OP
I've gone full circle here, but I've got carried away and needed to bring it back closer to budget. The whole point is he can upgrade in the future and hopefully this setup allows that.

Total: £458.64 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Back
Top Bottom