Xmas presents do you test them ?

Man of Honour
Purchased a tablet for my son for Xmas but should I test it before giving it to him ? Don't want him dissapointed if there a fault.

Does Anyone test phones, etc before giving them to there children ?

Soldato
When my daughter was younger, I've been known to not just test, but go through all the set-up malarkey on electronics so that she can use them right away.
But she's 11 now, so:
a) I think she gets more out of it being pristine for her to unbox than not needing to perform set-up.
b) It's probably good experience for her to have to do the set-up herself.

Caporegime
When my daughter was younger, I've been known to not just test, but go through all the set-up malarkey on electronics so that she can use them right away.
But she's 11 now, so:
a) I think she gets more out of it being pristine for her to unbox than not needing to perform set-up.
b) It's probably good experience for her to have to do the set-up herself.

Will be a good experience for her to face the crushing disappointment of most things being a bunch of badly made rubbish too, if it is DOA. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
My wife does this and it's always puzzled me. I just assumed you gave people stuff and if it doesn't work when they open it, you take it back. But, I can see why she's doing it.

I've never even thought about it. As @bazzabear says, if it was me I'd rather do the unboxing myself!

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see the logic behind unboxing it and testing to make sure it's not damaged, and working as it should etc to avoid disappointment, but it seems pretty unlikely these days that something like a tablet would be DOA (although I guess there's a higher risk if you get it from an independent seller in an auction site where there's a chance it might not actually be brand new or from some dodgy source of stock, say).

I never unbox or test things before giving them as gifts, if there's ever a problem I'd just take it back and return the item, but it's not happened to me yet!

Last edited:
Caporegime
you can probably get a screen cover that looks like a cracked screen to apply after you test the item.

see their faces light up and drop like a brick when they think its cracked :D

Soldato
When buying the kids tablets for Christmas, I ensured they both worked and were ready to go a couple of weeks before the big day. The last thing you want to be doing on Christmas Day is going through OOBEs and setting up parental restrictions!

I guess it does depend on how old they are though..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
you can probably get a screen cover that looks like a cracked screen to apply after you test the item.

see their faces light up and drop like a brick when they think its cracked :D
Then there would be a real crack, in my head as the wife inflicts her justice. ;)

Going to test it and get it ready for him.

Tx all.

Last edited:
Soldato
No. I don't have the time and would rather things stay as an original out of box experience for them. Even young kinds understand things need setting up/building/batteries etc. And if they don't then they learn.

Caporegime
When I was young my Dad bought me a Tamiya Nissan Skyline GTR radio controlled car. It was my main Christmas present that year. Only to find out when assembling it that a gear set was missing. The shop we purchased it from said it would take a month to arrive. I was in tears all of Christmas. Looking back at it he was a bit of nob and my father was far too nice to him as he could have easily taken the gearset out of another set and gave me that till the replacement arrived.

From that I test and check all presents for my kids.

Last edited:
Soldato
Purchased a tablet for my son for Xmas but should I test it before giving it to him ? Don't want him dissapointed if there a fault.

Does Anyone test phones, etc before giving them to there children ?
For kids, I would open, test, setup etc, then pop back in the box.

Forget it going wrong, imagine the "Well you'll need to wait 2 hours to get all the udpates, install apps, setup an account, and then if you are lucky the sim will activate within 24 hours.."

Back
Top Bottom